First Suicide Claim

Indy007

Guru
100+ Post Club
Got a call from a clients son today. Unfortunately, he advised me his dad had committed suicide, or so he thought as the death is under investigation.

I didn't know what to say besides "I'm sorry for your loss" and offered my condolences to him and his family. I advised him I'd help him with the claim to try and make it go smoothly. There will not be a death certificate issued until the investigation is completed though, which leaves it up in the air for now.

Strange thing is, the life policy was issued 3/2011 and the death occurred 4/2013 (just outside the suicide clause). Makes me wonder if my client purchased the policy intending to do this. 2 years is a long time to "plan" committing suicide. Have any of you ever had a suicide claim, or anything similar happen?

I believe Larry Gilmore and a very similar situation. If memory serves, he spoke with the client and shortly after the call the client took his life.

I don't know the man, but that sounds like a real tragedy. Considering what little information you've given it really does look like a man paid a bill every month for two years expecting to take his life after the 24th month.

I haven't spoke with my client in over a year, but from what I remember about him, he didn't seem depressed/suicidal/etc. His son said the whole family was in shock.

Last time I met with him I noticed my tire was making a clicking noise when I pulled up to the house. I told him about it during the appointment, and he called up his buddy at a tire shop and asked him a favor. He sent me over to the shop and he fixed my tire for free.

He was a nice guy, sad deal, especially if he was planning it for that long. Hope he wasn't, but that's definitely a coincidence that it happened in the 25th month.

I have had the same. A week after he asked about increasing his coverage he went out to his patrol car and killed himself.

Sad, but it happens.

I believe Larry Gilmore and a very similar situation. If memory serves, he spoke with the client and shortly after the call the client took his life.

I don't know the man, but that sounds like a real tragedy. Considering what little information you've given it really does look like a man paid a bill every month for two years expecting to take his life after the 24th month.

Last edited:
That's an incredibly difficult circumstance indeed. Before I became a sales agent, I reviewed such claims - those incidences occurring just inside/outside the 2 year policy issue date. A great deal of investigation will occur post death but unfortunately the insureds intentions may never be revealed. I'm sorry for your client's loss. Suicide is a tragedy for those left behind.

Back