Forming LLC- Do I have to pay state non resident agent fees again

steve3752

Expert
I am forming an LLC and subchapter s to save some social security tax. Right now I file as self employed ie no LLC or corp.

I am a non resident agent in around 20 states. Do I have to pay all those state registration fees again, or can I just change from my name to an LLC?

I am forming an LLC and subchapter s to save some social security tax. Right now I file as self employed ie no LLC or corp.

I am a non resident agent in around 20 states. Do I have to pay all those state registration fees again, or can I just change from my name to an LLC?

Maybe you could just have yourself and LLC on record in your resident state with the DOI, then have yourself as an individual listed in the LLC as a Member / Organizer.

You may want to reach out to a CPA, though.

The short answer is yes. However, some carriers don’t require your agency to be licensed in other states. For example, UHC doesn’t require it and will pay commissions to the agency even for non-res business. With Humana, I appoint with them individually in non-res states. They pay me and I write a check to the agency.

With that said, some carriers will require you to be appointed both individually and your agency in non-res states. Just the cost of doing business.

How does that work from a tax standpoint? Or how do you classify the payment from you to the agency?

With an LLC you can elect subchapter s for tax purposes. You do not have to pay all of your net profit as income. Just a reasonable amount which is subject to opinion. A lot of accountants will say only pay half of net profit as income and the rest as a distribution like a dividend . That way only half of net income is subject to social security tax. I am 72 so I am not trying to build that up. It does sound like a big hassle though.

How does that work from a tax standpoint? Or how do you classify the payment from you to the agency?

I just make a personal payment to the agency and label it as commission from the carrier. On my personal taxes I show it as income (since the 1099 is issued to me and not the agency tax I.D.) and the payment as an expense so it’s a net zero personally. So far so good (been doing it that way for a decade). I do this with my broker dealer commissions as well since they won’t pay it to my agency.

Back