Geico and voluntary driver's license surrender?

tgmnsales

I am not a P&C agent, but a friend of mine asked me about this and I thought someone here may know the answer. My friend's 22 yr. old son had his first DUI 6 months ago and had his license revoked for 12 months. Her Geico auto insurance wants proof of the son's license within two weeks or the family auto policy will be terminated. The son doesn't need to drive (he's a student with no job), and he found out that he could do a "voluntary surrender" of his license. Would Geico still terminate the policy if he does a voluntary surrender of his license?

Would Geico still terminate the policy if he does a voluntary surrender of his license?

Your friend should be asking the people at GEICO that question.

But, in my experience, I'm surprised that GEICO hasn't already sent notice of cancellation just for the DUI conviction. Doesn't matter if he surrenders his license or not. Revoked is revoked. He isn't going to be able to prove that he has a valid license.

Your friend is probably looking at buying high risk, high priced, auto insurance for the next 5 years or until her son moves out, gets his own place, owns and insures his own car. Then she might get the preferred rates back.

Your friend needs to find a Carrier that will be able exclude the kid thru a named driver exclusion endorsement. But may not be available in all states.

Your friend's problem is simply surrendering the license doesn't guarantee that he won't drive. He needs to get a new address so he doesnt reside in the home and purchase a non-owners policy, if available, to show he is out of the home and insured.

My friend found out that Minnesota doesn't allow for named driver exclusions. She was told by Geico to have her son get insured on his own, that there are companies that insure those with revoked licenses. That way he won't be on she and her husband's policy and they won't be rated up because of the son. Does anyone know of companies that sell these policies? Best rates?

Back