Geico Mobile App/Drive Easy

Shelly L Hebert

So just recently I've switched to Geico from State Farm for my auto insurance because State Farm was getting to costly. One of the discounts available to me from Geico was to download and use the mobile app for the "Drive Easy" bit to monitor my driving score. Sure no problem. But here's my dilemma - both my senior citizen mother (who vary, and I do mean - very rarely drives) is on the policy. The vehicle is in her name, but 99.9% of the time it is me who's doing the driving. My mother also doesn't have a cell phone; she uses mines whenever needed. So about Geico mobile app, I've downloaded it on to my phone and set it all up. But it thinks I'm my mom and it continues to demand for me to send an 'invite' for 'me' to use on my phone, or we will loose the discount because not all those insured isn't using the app. But thats the problem - we share the same phone. And I don't see a way to add my name to the app itself and mark who actually done the driving. I tried calling Geico and asking them but I got restless after sitting on hold for over 35 minutes and hung up. Does anyone here know how I can fix this? I just don't wanna loose the discount that comes with using the app. But like I said we both use the same phone, and its me anyhow who does all the driving anyway. Thanks!

From your somewhat fractured note I see a few issues. Mon's car should not be in your policy unless you are registered as a co-owner, otherwise you have no insurable interest in the car.
The phone app will only work if all listed drivers have a cell number. Another issue is if more than one person in the car has their cell phone on, the app registers each person as driving. I dont see this working for you since there should be 2 policies or you register the car in your name with Mom as a listed driver and then you dont get credit (or punished) for the manner in which Mom drives (unless you are riding with her).

Why?
Does the underwriter know that you don't own the car?
What is it that you are concealing from your insurance company?
I dont think she liked the answer or the question. Anyone can place any car on a policy and I doubt the person taking the information asked who owned the car. Hopefully she will heed advice and correct the situation before a claim happens and the truth comes out.

The car is financed, being the loan (and car) is in her name. Prior to getting this car, I took my car along with the one she had before it and traded it in for this one. The reason the vehicle was placed in her name was because she has better and more credit than I have. As it was with State Farm, with Geico I'm listed as a second driver of the vehicle - I am on the policy and insured. Even with Nissan Motor Acceptance (who the car is financed through), im listed as an authorized driver over that car. The reason my mom no longer drives is because she stuffed a double stroke last Christmas. She lost 30% of mobility in her left arm and leg, and since her vision isn't as great. Tbh, she drives worst than an drunk now, so i refuse to let her drive a vehichle. As for the phone situation, my mother has an Lifeline Phone (a government free phone), its a pretty unreliable phone/service. Half of the time she dont recieve her calls. Because of this when it comes to important phone calls, etc. My mom uses my phone.

Nothing illegal nor any lies have been made.

Mom's car CANNOT be on YOUR policy unless you are in the TITLE or REGISTRATION or loan documents. Your vehicle cannot be on Mom's policy unless she is listed in the TITLE, REGISTRATION,OR LIAN documents. She can be a listed driver on your policy, you can be a listed driver on her policy but you need 2 policies.

Back