Getting Started in California MediCare Business?

CaNewAgent

Expert
We are located in California. My wife is a captive career P&C agent. I am a rookie with a P&C plus Life/Health license. We are interested in getting started in the MediCare business.

We understand we need to get certified by the carriers and the open enrollment period is almost complete for 2012.

Can someone point us in the right direction to get started? We are not sure if we should sub-contract with an existing company or try to start from scratch. We are also concerned about getting doctors to use us for their referral business.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill

We are located in California. My wife is a captive career P&C agent. I am a rookie with a P&C plus Life/Health license. We are interested in getting started in the MediCare business.

We understand we need to get certified by the carriers and the open enrollment period is almost complete for 2012.

Can someone point us in the right direction to get started? We are not sure if we should sub-contract with an existing company or try to start from scratch. We are also concerned about getting doctors to use us for their referral business.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill

contract "direct" where you can. don't get suckered in by greedy FMOs that don't help you and take your overrides.

I thought some other folks would take a stab at this, but since they haven't:

Unless you have a really solid relationship with some provider offices (doctors, etc), I wouldn't expect to get any referral business from them and if you do, you'll have to be extra careful about how it's done to remain complaint.

Why are you interested in getting in the Medicare business? If you're trying to start from scratch you might be significantly better off focusing on the P&C business vs trying to get involved with MA plans when there is an active witch hunt going on.

Back