Getting started in health insurance

I've tried many different methods and in fact when I first started telemarketing myself months ago I purposely played around with many different approaches and scripts.

You're falesly assuming that if the client doesn't want to give you ages and other info on the first call then they're not serious. That's not true. You are cold calling people and they don't know or trust you. For all they know you're a scam artist calling to get their personal info. I've closed many deals where the first phone call was extremely stand-offish.

True "qualified" telemarketed leads are quite expensive - check around. They're $25 and over. The telemarketer get all kinds of info - ages, zip, address, health conditions, etc...

However, I've found that those leads have little to do with actually closing a deal. Closing a deal simply means I need to earn their trust first. Bascially, what I've found that works for me is "just give me leads."

Telemarketing is a hard enough of a job. The reason my marketers stick with it is because they can generate volume and don't have to ask any questions. It's easy for them. Once I make it harder and mandate that they get personal info the clients become more stand-offish, the job is harder and the marketer is more likely to quit. I've closed three large deals in the past two weeks where even when I made my intro call they wouldn't give me personal info. The attidude was "I haven't even had a chance to read what you sent to call back later in the week." But when they get to my email they see my website, that I'm local, my license number, my picture (which show's I'm not some 22 year old kid) and now I have a little credibility.

To me "it is what it is." I've play around with several methods and what works for me is to tell my marketers "just get me leads." I've also played with a few closing methods and for me the most comfortable method is the lowest closing percentage so I'm doing about 1 out of 15.

If I get 8 leads a day X 5 = 40 leads which is five deals a week. That's a lot of money even after the marketers are paid.

Here's what I think. I think if an effort to avoid working hard people are trying to design a system or script so they're only working with and generating "high quality" leads. I really don't care if I'm getting 35 people a week who have zero interest as long as I'm making $4,000 a week by the 5 who do have interest. In an effort for me to get rid of most of the 35 people who never wanted to buy I'm also losing 2 or 3 of the five people who are buyers and now my pay is horrible.

If you are using telemarketers your system makes sense. I've used telemarketers before and like you say it has to be simple and basic with success built into the effort.

Lot of us got out of corporate or sold businesses and went into insurance and don't wish to have employees or chase independent contractors anymore, tho. The options are either buy leads or procure them.

If you are telemarketing yourself I could see using your system of just asking for the emails and then after acquiring that information ask them if they would like a custom quote included in their email. Never hurts to ask, does it ?

True. I only called myself to see what the true results would be and to get a very easy script that marketers could follow. I have better things to do then make 3 hours a day of cold calling. To me that's wasted time I could be spending with prospects.

Saying that, if you don't have any marketing money then internet leads are out, postcards are out, any advertising is out and you're cold calling yourself until you get a few checks under your belt.

I get a lot of emails from this boad that basically go like this:

"I don't have any marketing money and I hate cold calling."

The short reply is: "Then you won't be an independent health insurance agent."

To me that's a bit like wanting to be an actor but you won't go on any auditions because you're scared. That'll be a short acting career.

The organization I'm involved with suggested some of us high our own telemarketing person. Seems those that have done that have done very well. I have ads out now to recruit 2-3 telemarketers. I've tried a few in the past three months working from home and it's been so-so. I do very well with my own techniques, 20 calls usually gets me 2-3 customers and these are cold calls.

Hi Jen,

I just saw your post about your calling techniques. Would you share what your techniques are, or what script you use? I'm always looking to get better on the phone, and it sounds like you are great!

What steps are involved in your sales process? Are you contacting small businesses for individual policies, or larger ones and looking for group business?

Any feedback you could provide would be great!!

Thanks...
-Mike

Sure, write me off line, tell me a little about your products, experience what works and doesn't I will share you what makes sense to me. Perhaps the comments will help. I found there are a lot of factors that influence a call. Personality, goals, fear factors or lack of them, information or lack of it, follow through, and more. Anyway, write to me anytime. I probably will be on the board about every 2 weeks, but I'm always interested in helping where I can.

Jenananda said:
Sure, write me off line, tell me a little about your products, experience what works and doesn't I will share you what makes sense to me. Perhaps the comments will help. I found there are a lot of factors that influence a call. Personality, goals, fear factors or lack of them, information or lack of it, follow through, and more. Anyway, write to me anytime. I probably will be on the board about every 2 weeks, but I'm always interested in helping where I can.

Why not share that here??

Ummmm, because she's here to recruit and not to share information? I don't really care if someone chooses to contact her about recruiting but if you have something that's working for you that's what this forum is all about - sharing info. I think Jen's a bit too focused on becoming rich by throwing people into UandIWin. Remember, she needs two "legs" to max out on bonuses:

uandiwinut1.jpg

Back