Getting Started in Med Sups

Revit750

I've learned a lot reading the posts here. Looking for advice/suggestions in getting started in building up a Med Sup book. I already have a financial planning practice geared towards retirees so adding Medicare seems like a good complement to what I am already doing. Cross sell opportunities, not tied to the market, diversify my revenue and the list goes on.

So far I got myself appointed with UHC and working on putting together my marketing plan. My goal is to work up to the pace of selling 20 policies a month.

So far this is what I plan to get going; and plan to repeat monthly.

1. Mail 1000 mailers a month for T65 through Kramer
2. Buy 20 exclusive internet leads a month
3. Cold call T65 prospects, 3-6 months from T65... current count gives me about 3500 names statewide, plan to use the mojo powerdialer

What I'd like some help is....

Is this level of monthly activity enough to support 20 apps a month. Using conservative response rates and closing ratios?

Where can I get a track to run on as far as scripting on what to say on the phone when I make the CC's and call the leads from the internet and DM...and scripts to move the convo to a close?

Also any other comments and suggestions are welcome...

I've learned a lot reading the posts here. Looking for advice/suggestions in getting started in building up a Med Sup book. I already have a financial planning practice geared towards retirees so adding Medicare seems like a good complement to what I am already doing. Cross sell opportunities, not tied to the market, diversify my revenue and the list goes on.

So far I got myself appointed with UHC and working on putting together my marketing plan. My goal is to work up to the pace of selling 20 policies a month.

3. Cold call T65 prospects, 3-6 months from T65... current count gives me about 3500 names statewide, plan to use the mojo powerdialer

Is this level of monthly activity enough to support 20 apps a month. Using conservative response rates and closing ratios?

Where can I get a track to run on as far as scripting on what to say on the phone when I make the CC's and call the leads from the internet and DM...and scripts to move the convo to a close?

You can learn all you need to know about selling Medicare Supplements here.

MedicareAgentTraining.com - Medicare training on how to sell Medicare Supplements by phone

You can absolutely write 20 a month with the marketing plan you have. However, you will need other companies in order to make yourself competitive. I'm saying this loosely without knowing which state you're in and where you plan on marketing.

You can give us a call anytime and we can help you with the scripting, training, and contracts as well if you need them.

Thanks I've had my eye on that site, I'm going to check it out.

----------

You can absolutely write 20 a month with the marketing plan you have. However, you will need other companies in order to make yourself competitive. I'm saying this loosely without knowing which state you're in and where you plan on marketing.

You can give us a call anytime and we can help you with the scripting, training, and contracts as well if you need them.

Thanks Todd for the feedback on my plan. I'll keep you in mind when look to add more contracts.

You're definitely gonna want other carriers. UHC doesn't want you telemarketing their plans.

And even if you get away with it, there's no e-app to speak of. Email/fax, snail mail, or f2f are your only options.

And then they punish you for not getting five apps written by a certain time.

If they were easier to do business with, I'd write them more often!

Last edited:

Where can I get a track to run on as far as scripting on what to say...and scripts to move the convo to a close?

Hello Revit!

One piece of advice I would share with you in regards to cold calling is that typically your best practice would be to outsource your time spent dialing to someone else.

When you are first starting out, it can be a good method for learning and getting comfortable on the phone, however you will quickly be stunting your growth by trying to do it all yourself.

Here is a quick video about another great training resource I would reccomend for Medicare Supplements!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're definitely gonna want other carriers. UHC doesn't want you telemarketing their plans.

And even if you get away with it, there's no e-app to speak of. Email/fax, snail mail, or f2f are your only options.

And then they punish you for not getting five apps written by a certain time.

If they were easier to do business with, I'd write them more often!

Interesting! Thanks for the pointers!

Ok so I've got my first 8 sales under my belt, with about another 3 I'm confident I can close.... and pretty much have worked my way through all my leads.

If I were to buy more telemarketed leads should I wait until January or are there still sales to be made this time of year?

Ok so I've got my first 8 sales under my belt, with about another 3 I'm confident I can close.... and pretty much have worked my way through all my leads.

If I were to buy more telemarketed leads should I wait until January or are there still sales to be made this time of year?
There are sales to be made year round! You need to read up on the disenrollment period which ends FEB 14th and never forget there are thousands of people turning 65 every day. Hopefully you're adding additional carriers as well because UHC is not that competitive and very cumbersome to work with. Get some good med supp quoting software which will allow you to pull up all plans in the prospects zip with current pricing and you'll see who the power players are in the areas you're selling.
Good luck

Back