Getting Started Selling Insurance

I just received my Life and Health Insurance license, What do I need to do to start making money as a small indpendent business owner.

Get contract with good companies. Buy Leads and prospect. Read everything you can get your hands on. Get some training...

SEE THE PEOPLE!
SEE THE PEOPLE!
SEE THE PEOPLE!

Before we can give any kind of helpful advice we need to know what you are planning on selling. What you are going to sell may dictate what you need to do to start making money.

Not all insurance is best sold using the same approach. For example, I consider Med Supps unique to almost all other types of insurance.

Knowing the state you are in will help also. Are you really in AL?

I plan to sell life & health insurance, I currently live in the state of Illinois, just seeking a good mentor to help get me started in the right direction.

Thanks

Elliott

I plan to sell life & health insurance, I currently live in the state of Illinois, just seeking a good mentor to help get me started in the right direction.

Thanks

Elliott

Life and Health insurance covers a very wide spectrum of insurance. I would suggest that you pick a particular product to begin with and become an expert on that type of insurance first. Once you have that mastered then begin branching into other types of coverage.

For example, Med Supps and Final Expense fit very well together and is a good place for a new agent to begin. Much easier, in my opinion, to set appointments for and sell than most of the other products.

If you would like more information give me a call.

The biggest advantage of going solo is that you get to pick the best deals to sell. Keep yourself up-to-date with the industry and popular insurance plans. Take those and run with with them. Apart from buying leads, use your professional contacts, family members, and freinds. Send them an email informing them that you are now officially an insurance agent. If they need any advice they should come to you.

Not sure what you plan to sell, but once you know I would suggest studying like you have a mid-term! All the product brochures, plan comparisons, UW guides, exclusions and limitations of the plans.

If you don't know that answer to consumer's questions when you are talking with them you will be wasting your time, and potentially providing bad information to someone that needs it.

You also should be studying the carriers you do not plan to sell, so you know the best way to compete.

I would suggest working for another agency for a while until you know more, but if you do go indy right away, get a good General Agency, like HealthChoiceOne.

The do some really good training that helps new agents, and you will most likely make more that way too.

Find a company, organization, or person to teach you the business. Otherwise you have snow flakes chance in hell of succeeding.

Life Focus - find a good captive carrier and/or a life producer to teach you the business.

Health Focus (individual/family) - join the IHIAA.

Health Focus (group benefits) - find a local brokerage to teach you the ropes.

Medicare - find Frank on this forum.

All four are different animals. Product knowledge is important, but secondary to having a marketing/prospecting system that gives you an adequate, consistent flow of leads. Your odds of learning this on your own and surviving financially are near zero!

Back