Greetings! Question on Commercial NOHA

SPTheAdv

Hello! I am brand new on this forum and I found this with hopes to get some input and maybe direction on a strange thing I am running into with a NOHA situation.

We insure a church that uses a school to hold their services, the school district wants to be named additional insured for Non-Owned and Hired Auto Liability. The church is NOT going to be using any school owned autos, borrowed or hired. The carrier says no; firstly they can't do this on a NOHA only policy (insured doesn't own any autos); and secondly there is no insurable interest held by the school as far as autos go. The school and district are named as Additional Insured as it pertains to GL coverage for the use of facilites and the parking lot,

Has anyone else experienced this? is there a workaround? How do you get someone at a school district to understand this is they have no insurance background and aren't seemingly willing to listen?

Thank you and blessings!

Hello! I am brand new on this forum and I found this with hopes to get some input and maybe direction on a strange thing I am running into with a NOHA situation.

We insure a church that uses a school to hold their services, the school district wants to be named additional insured for Non-Owned and Hired Auto Liability. The church is NOT going to be using any school owned autos, borrowed or hired. The carrier says no; firstly they can't do this on a NOHA only policy (insured doesn't own any autos); and secondly there is no insurable interest held by the school as far as autos go. The school and district are named as Additional Insured as it pertains to GL coverage for the use of facilites and the parking lot,

Has anyone else experienced this? is there a workaround? How do you get someone at a school district to understand this is they have no insurance background and aren't seemingly willing to listen?

Thank you and blessings!

hi there @SPTheAdv , Special Agent Elliot Becker here. Have you uhh tried to take the principal of the school hostage and demand the superintendent get realistic with his insurance requirements before you execute your hostage and burn the building down? (in Minecraft)

Also it is possible to get a monoline HNO policy, they can just be expensive. Who's the carrier on the GL?

Also, I'm just kidding in case anyone thought that first paragraph was seeerrriousss

Last edited:
haha I love the idea you present! They actually have a monoline Hired and Non-Owned Auto Liability policy and a separate General Liability. Carrier is GuideOne. Underwriter says they can't (not available for ISO forms on a HNOA) and won't provide AI endorsement (no insurable interest).

haha I love the idea you present! They actually have a monoline Hired and Non-Owned Auto Liability policy and a separate General Liability. Carrier is GuideOne. Underwriter says they can't (not available for ISO forms on a HNOA) and won't provide AI endorsement (no insurable interest).
What kind of pushback is the school giving you? Maybe you could just read them the definition of who's an insured off the ISO form and ask what scenarios they're worried about covering.

Sometimes you just run into bureaucrats in this business. If the box on the COI isn't checked that they want, they won't listen to reason.

Back