Group Health- Looking

I disagree on a case this size.
If the group was 1,600 lives then I would agree with you.

The group may want to build a relationship with the broker. They also might need a lot of hand holding and a extremely high level of customer service. A large agency might not give that level of service.

A broker could look at Self Funding the case with a TPA to assist with a hand holding type group. An ASO plan would be able to deliver much higher discounts than a TPA but no hand holding.

This size case should have local working on it.

I don't like ASO or TPA for that size group but don't habitually distinguish between the 2. Yes, the majors have much better discounts & that is a selling point every time I run into a TPA. Also used to be a proponent of audits to see how well claims were being paid according to contract.

Seen too many without SL renewed or a health condition carved out. Also see my example of Medicare claim getting dumped onto the group. Then there was the cut & sew that was going belly up, changed to fully insured & had a hard time getting the run out paid.

People seem to think that they're running with the big dogs just because they have 100 people collecting a pay check. When I crunch the numbers, even approaching 1000 members, claims are only statistically about 65% credible.

I've had groups in other states and made the trip a couple of times/yr. Kept them for years until they were merged or sold.
If you do your job, there shouldn't be any problems that the employer has to deal with.

If the group self funds then the deepest network discounts are going to come from the ASO. You would also have a better chance of retaining the entire network discount for the group.

Let's be honest most TPAs are keeping a portion of the discount for themselves. So let's say on a case this size you deliver 36% on a rented network with the TPA. The reality is it will end up around 32%. What about the RX rebate?

So if you have the relationships in place with the carrier you might be able to deliver 38% to case this size with no lasering. Then actually deliver the full 38%.

Here is another problem I have learned. Don't ask for a ASO quote and a fully insured quote from the same carrier. They will look very similar in price.The carrier would rather fully insure the case.

I will say a TPA will offer a much higher level of service. At 160 lives there is no doubt in my mind you could self fund this case with the right spec and agg in place.

Back