Group Health: More than one carrier in a workplace?

I believe in texas you still have to have a certain amount of people for this...and depends on the company.......

Are you allowed to write groups of 1 in TX? In CO we are - but it has to be within either 30 days of their birthday or upon their 1st business year anniversary. This does not have much to do with the particular case being discussed but points out the variations in state law.

On a different note, Moonlight - you were right about the song "Gangsta Lean" by the Gourds (different thread). That's a bad ass song. Thanks, I've already learned how to play it.

Carve out's depend on the carrier & state.

There are several carriers here in GA that will do carve out's on 2 lives. I have one under consideration now. Hub & wife own company with 80 employees.

Hub & wife are only salaried employees, rest are hourly.

No problem.

I can come back with the other employees offering PRD coverage and make a few coins on that deal.

You can set up different benefit levels by class. A class can be defined as:

salary/hourly

"management"/ all other

officers/management/all other

exempt/non-exempt

W2/ 1099

Usually they will not allow directors to be covered unless they are also full time employees. Exceptions can be made in very large groups.

There are conditions in which dual plans with multiple carriers can be involved, as long as the required participation is met. Usually it is best to have the same carrier administer both plans.

As for "voluntary" major med, I assume you mean a PRD plan. Other than supplemental (mini med) plans, there is no such thing as a group voluntary major med (no employer participation).

And this is where I'm grabbing my ass and holding on....please tell me, what is a PRD plan?

I have a good relationship with the office manager, so I can likely set up a min-med plan (might as well offer dental/vision) and get access to employees for indiv. health.

The primo plan mentioned in the first post is with Anthem/BC

I want to thank you guys for taking the time to respond to this thread. Some good info!

I'm assuming PRD in this context means Payroll Deduction.

But I'm wrong most of the time, so don't go by me!

Al

PRD = payroll deduction

Why set up a mini med and open yourself to liability? Use individual major med plans and do the right thing for the employees and your conscience

Why set up a mini med and open yourself to liability? Use individual major med plans and do the right thing for the employees and your conscience

Ok, I've seen it mentioned in other threads, but still don't understand.... How is selling a dental/vision plan opening myself to liability? Are you suggesting it's unethical to offer dental/vision to ee's who don't want to pay for individual health?

Ok, I've seen it mentioned in other threads, but still don't understand.... How is selling a dental/vision plan opening myself to liability? Are you suggesting it's unethical to offer dental/vision to ee's who don't want to pay for individual health?

You are not opening yourself to any litigation offering dental/vision. What they are referring to is offering Mini Plans, which wouldn't open yourself up to litigation. Of course any one can sue but, that is why we have Judges and I have yet heard of a case that found the agent guilty of any wrong doing in the sale of mini plans. In fact, I doubt today you can find an attorney to take such a case, there seems to be a clear president set, buyer beware, it even worked for Mega.

Pad -

Mini meds, not vision, dental.

There is a lot of controversy and where there is controversy there is potential litigation. Many who buy the mini-meds have no clue what is covered, what isn't . . . until there is a major claim that isn't paid.

You can be sued for any action, and no doubt, if you have covered your butt, you can come out ahead. But it can be expensive fighting the case.

Unless you have $20-$30k to do battle over "nothing", you might want to steer clear of mini meds.

If the employer will not spring for a share of the employee cost, even on something as inexpensive as STD, then offer the employees major med and other supp products on PRD.

Pad,

If you listen to some here all you'll ever sell will be Major Med and only by certain carriers (approved carriers). So you can not sell Mini Meds, can't sell Life Insurance because we all know it is only Joe Sixpack or the brothers down in the hood that'll be willing to see ya. Can't sell DI, you know those companies will never pay a claim. Can't sell LTCi, to far out there and way to comlicated plus let us not even look at the application! Plus, more importantly, don't ever mention Annuities!:D

It is amazing, maybe we should rename this forum to "Everything sucks but "Approved" Health!":idea:

Back