Group Health vs MA plan

Dave: Sorry.... but there is nothing prohibited about this at all!

If so, I'd love for you to contact Aetna and let them know about it!

They are simply opting for Medicare Advantage plans in lieu of the company plan, which may or may NOT be a better deal for them... in a lot of cases it is NOT better....

BUT YOU ARE CORRECT in that I'm mixed the FASB 106 liability concern in with the discussion, which deals with retiree liability... so thanks.... it's too damned late to be having these discussion.

Ciao

Sorry NewHealth, but IT IS PROHIBITED and you are wrong! Here you go....

Can an employer in any way encourage active employees to elect out of employer sponsored coverage when they are eligible for Medicare?
No. The Medicare Secondary Payer statute prohibits a group health plan from "taking into account" the Medicare entitlement of a current employee or current employee or family member. Employers are prohibited from discouraging employees from enrolling in their group health plan or from offering "financial or other incentive for an individual entitled to Medicare" not to enroll (or to terminate enrollment) under a group health plan that would otherwise be a primary plan.
The above prohibition does not apply to employers with less than 20 employees for each working day in at least 20 weeks in either the current or the preceding calendar year.

Are there any penalties if an employer violates these Medicare Secondary Payer rules?
The federal government and Medicare recipients are authorized to recover double damages from group health care plans that treat Medicare as the primary payer in violation of the rules.
Violation of the financial incentives prohibition is subject to a civil money penalty of up to $5,000 for each violation.
Code Section 5000 also imposes an excise tax of 25 percent of expenses on all employers, other than certain governmental entities, or employee organizations whose group health care plans fail to comply with the Medicare Secondary Payer rules. Employers or employee organizations may appeal HCFA determinations of a failure to comply with Code Section 5000. The government has three years to collect health care payments that were wrongly paid by Medicare from the primary party.

Can an employee elect out of employer coverage on their own and elect Medicare?
There is nothing preventing an employee electing out of employer coverage on his or her own

Common Employer Questions Regarding Medicare

Can an employee elect out of employer coverage on their own and elect Medicare?
There is nothing preventing an employee electing out of employer coverage on his or her own
And I might suggest that in this case, if it is under the advice of a licensed agent, that agent may be looking at a lot of problems down the road.

I thought the whole discussion surrounded around taking the retirees that are over 65 and giving them an option to choose MA plans instead of what the employer has offered.... thus the FASB 106 comment in self-funded plans.......

....... I agree you cannot take an ACTIVE employee off the plan (well I guess you could sub-vertly).... so are we saying the same thing?!

You think I should just read the posts?

I thought the whole discussion surrounded around taking the retirees that are over 65 and giving them an option to choose MA plans instead of what the employer has offered.... thus the FASB 106 comment in self-funded plans.......

....... I agree you cannot take an ACTIVE employee off the plan (well I guess you could sub-vertly).... so are we saying the same thing?!

You think I should just read the posts?

Nope, and that was my point in the earlier post about reading what the OP wrote. OP stated that another agent recommends to employer to remove employees (not retirees) over 65 from the group plan and put them on an MA plan. That is why I said it was prohibited. Retirees are a completely different story.

OP wrote "to tell the owner and the employee that they could come off the group health plan into a MA plan and save money for both."

Not retiree, employee. And that is a prohibited practice.

Thanks guys--what a great resource this forum is. I think your posts are always filled with a lot of information and knowledge.
ROCK ON!!

Back