Group Health

Selling group over the phone is a challenge but it can be done. I believe that is the way Sam (Melmunch) makes most of his sales but I could be wrong.

You can use Benefitmall and web conferencing but I find Benefitmall so slow and challenging I can't imagine making a sale while cursing in my clients ear about their software.

I do run quotes (not with Benefitmall) and send clients PDF files of the proposal via email. If they still want to meet, I schedule a time once I am convinced they are ready to buy and only want me to do the employee meeting.

Most of my groups are small, handled by phone & email and I have never met them. I email them the app, they complete & mail back to me along with a check. Works almost every time.

Like you, I grew tired of the politics and other BS of the large case. The interaction with the client (invidual and small group) and the ability to use tools I learned in dealing with the "big boys" is nice.

Much of what I do with individuals is the same thing I did when selling self funded 500 life groups.

#2 has to disagree with #1.

Most of my small business clients are in other towns, and is done 100% over the phone. I don't use Benefit Mall or Norvax. By the answers I get from them, I run a quote with two companies. One being a PPO Plan in their area, and another one (may be the same company's HSA option) with a HDHP Plan.

Based on the docs they use, and their needs, I can determine which company is the best option. If it's a company I don't represent, I refer them to another agent, who will reciprocate down the road.

I even walked away from someone who wanted me to send her no less that three quotes from three different companies, so she could examine them. Told her I wasn't going to do all the legwork, so her local agent can get the commission.

The smaller the group, the better persistency, and the better referrals for handling other coverages. Better done over the phone, or via web conference.

#2 has to disagree with #1.

Most of my small business clients are in other towns, and is done 100% over the phone. I don't use Benefit Mall or Norvax. By the answers I get from them, I run a quote with two companies. One being a PPO Plan in their area, and another one (may be the same company's HSA option) with a HDHP Plan.

Based on the docs they use, and their needs, I can determine which company is the best option. If it's a company I don't represent, I refer them to another agent, who will reciprocate down the road.

I even walked away from someone who wanted me to send her no less that three quotes from three different companies, so she could examine them. Told her I wasn't going to do all the legwork, so her local agent can get the commission.

The smaller the group, the better persistency, and the better referrals for handling other coverages. Better done over the phone, or via web conference.

Do you run census quotes or do you get them to fill out health statements? What is your process for that?

In the Delaware Valley (Philadelphia and the 4 contiguous counties), Independence Blue Cross will allow a one-person sole proprietor to be written GI under one HMO plan. If they have a professional license (funeral director, real estate agent, etc.) they get a wide selection of plans to choose from. In both cases it is through a BC approved association that does the administrative work. I am going to look into whether a "Family Partnership," as defined by Internal Revenue Code Sec. 704(e)(1) [a spousal situation], would be regarded as a two-person group that would have the wider choice of commercial coverage available (GI) without the association membership. Also, I will probably have to ascertain the PA statutes on this type of arrangement. I think you guys who write small groups in other states may want to pursue this avenue of compliance with the restriction of the minimum two-person group requirement to write GI coverage.

Last edited:
A few carriers, Aetna in particular, will write a 1 person group in GA if there are 2 on the payroll and 1 opts out due to other coverage.

May be other carriers that do likewise. Just don't run into it that much.

The business form is a non-issue. Can be sole prop, partner, LLC, S Corp, etc.

What the carrier looks for is evidence of payroll taxes for 2+ employees.

Back