Gun Owners Insurance in California?

So, mandate, register/track, confiscate.

What are your thoughts on the bad actors doing evil?

Do bad actors think they are doing evil things? Define evil. A friend comes over and you go to use the bathroom. You hear a pop top go off. You come out and he's drinking your last beer. Will any judge or jury convict?

I mean, we made drugs illegal, as well as distracted driving and speeding. That worked? Right? We could just make guns illegal. :D

It's also illegal to enter this country without a visa. Another success.

:yes:

By the way, firearms liability insurance is available to members of the NRA for as little as $50. If the law survives the litigation there could potentially be hundreds of thousands of new NRA members swelling the NRA's coffers, enhancing the NRA's ability to litigate against unconstitutional anti-gun laws. How that for irony?

Make all gun owners register their guns. Commit a crime with a unregistered gun and it's life in prison. You have 6 months to comply.

Gun owners can only by bullets from the state. Minimum cost of $100 a bullet. If found with illegal bullets. Automatic 10 years behind bars.

For those who don't like it the exit doors at the boarder is open.

Great idea! That way the people who need to defend themselves the most (poor people in bad neighborhoods) can't afford to! They don't deserve safety and peace of mind anyway. Seriously, what kind of jerk doesn't just move to a nicer place? The nerve!

It's also great because it will keep lots of people who can still afford it from practicing and becoming proficient with their guns, since going shooting would cost more than a nice TV.

AND breaks the ice on blatantly violating people's fundamental rights. Those pesky things keep all the real fun from happening.

Keep these ideas coming!

Do you know if their [the NRAs] policy meets the requirements of the potential law?

I don't think any policy is going to meet the requirements of the San Jose ordinance and I don't think the lawmakers actually give a s--t whether they do or don't.

I'll explain why.

Here's the San Jose ordinance.

ORDINANCE NO (sanjoseca.gov)

7 pages of bulls--t before getting to the insurance requirement.

Insurance required. A person who resides in the City and owns or possesses a Firearm in the City shall obtain and continuously maintain in full force and effect a homeowner’s, renter’s or gun liability insurance policy from an admitted insurer or insurer as defined by the California Insurance Code, specifically covering losses or damages resulting from any accidental use of the Firearm, including but not limited to death, injury or property damage.

The NRA policy actually does specifically provide that coverage but the regular homeowner and renter policies don't say it. They just allude to it by not excluding it from liability due to negligence.

FORTEGRA-OUTDOOR-AND-FIREARM-PERSONAL-LIAB-SPECIMEN-POLICY-11-20-2019.pdf (locktonaffinityoutdoor.com)

The San Jose ordinance requires that the gun owner "attest" to having the required insurance by maintaining this form.

638018613817030000 (sjpd.org)

The insurance buying consumer is typically clueless about what his policy covers and is likely to just sign the form simply because he has a homeowner or renter policy.

Note the exemptions to the insurance requirement. Peace officers, carry permit holders, and those for whom the requirement is a financial hardship.

The ordinance isn't going to reduce gun violence, it will just make it more expensive for law abiding citizens to own firearms and allow the politicians to pat themselves on the back for their efforts. The criminals and crazies aren't going to pay any attention to it.

The state Senate Bill 8 is not available online in full text yet.

Bill Text: CA SB8 | 2023-2024 | Regular Session | Introduced | LegiScan

I suspect it will be as much a joke as the San Jose ordinance.

Can someone tell me which set of gun owners causes the largest drain on taxpayers? Is it my guns (which I have not used in 10 years) or the gun used by the slimeball who just robbed the liquor store, or shot up the car next to him in a drive by, or the multiple "mass violence" egg heads who are in the news? I cannot fathom any of those individuals complying with a law mandating an insurance policy.

Back