Happy Birthday

Mt Suribachi . . .

My first trip to DC was when I was maybe 6 or 7 and one thing that stood out in my mind was the Marine flag raising memorial (somewhere) in DC.

Years later I learned of the photographer who took the photo which was later used by the sculptor that created the memorial statue. Fascinating story . . .
[EXTERNAL LINK] - {{(global.pageOgTitle) ? global.pageOgTitle : global.pageTitle}}

The Marine statue and the giant Lincoln at the memorial really impressed this little boy.

My dad was a US Marine during the Korean War. He was too young to have fought at Iwo Jima. However, he was one of hundreds of Marines in a beach landing training exercise that was filmed for the movie “Sands of Iwo Jima”. For my entire childhood, that movie came on TV at least annually, and we watched it every single time! My dad would always get up during the landing scene and point at some random spot on the screen and declare, “That’s me right there!”. He was a pretty funny guy! I miss that twinkle in his eye whenever he made a joke. He was always proud to have been a Marine. I’ve heard it said, “Once a Marine, always a Marine.” I don’t know whether that’s true of all Marines, but it was sure true of my Daddy!IMG_3804.jpeg

Back