Has Blue Shield Lost It?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Blue Shield of California is allowing anyone with a current Medicare Supplement (Medigap) policy to switch to Blue Shield without answering medical questions or waiting periods until December 31, 2017. This is called a Special Enrollment Period (SEP).

Updated: For extended 2017 enrollment on July, 1, 2016

Who Qualifies for BSCA Special Enrollment
The following qualify for the Blue Shield of California Medicare Supplement Special Enrollment Period:

California Resident; AND
Currently enrolled in a Medigap plan; AND
Want to transfer to Blue Shield of CA
What Do I Need to Do to Switch to a Blue Shield Medigap Plan?
To switch from another company to Blue Shield or to switch between Blue Shield plans without having to answer medical question you need to do the following:

Transfer to any Blue Shield of CA Medigap plan with equal or lesser benefits
Must be done by December 31, 2017
You do not need to answer medical questions nor do you have a waiting period to switch to Blue Shield CA during this period

Why Would I Want to Switch to Blue Shield?
You may want to switch if Blue Shield of CA’s Medigap plan monthly premium is less expensive than your current plan.

Blue Shield of California extends its Medigap Special Enrollment Period until June

They've had year 'round "Birthday Rule" without the need of a birthday in the past. 20% first year, 10% renewal.

It's not a major issue in CA since once a year every company has an SEP.

Rick

Anthem in Missouri did this a few years ago. It was awesome! And if course they then had some big rate adjustments and restructured their whole rate sheet. Anthem also paid commissions on rate adjustments too, which is the only carrier I've ever seen do that.

BX GA did the same in 2010 & 2011 but only with plan N. They took anyone who had a policy with any other carrier. No health questions.

That lasted about 8 or 9 months before they pulled the plug.

Seems like there was another carrier that did something similar with plan N and had similar results.

BCBS has a Plan A and C medsupp in MI called Legacy. It's community rated and there is no underwriting. Plan C is by far the most popular at $122.86/mo. That's the same rate for everyone whether they're 45, 65, or 95. I heard a number thrown around in the past that for every $1 in premium the plan brings in, it pays out $1.60 in claims. That shortfall is subsidized by the state. And of course this product doesn't pay commissions to agents. Supposedly this plan will be changing significantly this year, but it's been around a long time.

BCBS has a Plan A and C medsupp in MI called Legacy. It's community rated and there is no underwriting. Plan C is by far the most popular at $122.86/mo. That's the same rate for everyone whether they're 45, 65, or 95. I heard a number thrown around in the past that for every $1 in premium the plan brings in, it pays out $1.60 in claims. That shortfall is subsidized by the state. And of course this product doesn't pay commissions to agents. Supposedly this plan will be changing significantly this year, but it's been around a long time.

Actually the rates will not change tell January of next year and no announcement yet on what they will be. Most likely they will be sending a letter to current members on the plan in the next couple months for what that rate is going to be. Hopefully they give them enough time or have it before AEP.:err:

BX GA did the same in 2010 & 2011 but only with plan N. They took anyone who had a policy with any other carrier. No health questions.

That lasted about 8 or 9 months before they pulled the plug.

Seems like there was another carrier that did something similar with plan N and had similar results.

BX GA actually did it with Plan F as well. They shut it down before the deadline and you know how the rates look today.

Back