Having Part B, Dropping It, and Adding It Back Again

JGold814

Guru
100+ Post Club
Las Vegas
I had a question come up recently and I was unsure of the exact answer. I believe he would qualify for a special enrollment period, but wanted to get another set of eyes on the question: Could someone enroll in Part B under a SEP multiple times?

The scenario was this:

If a person was retired, has Medicare Part A & Part B, then decides to go back to work, drop Part B, and go back on group insurance, can he re-enroll in part B under a special enrollment period if he retires again or would he only be able to sign up during the general enrollment period since he's had Part B before?

Normally you can sign up for a special enrollment period coming off of group insurance, but I wouldn't think it would be a one-time deal when you're new to Medicare, but I'm not 100% sure and couldn't find an answer to this scenario on the Medicare.gov website.

Thoughts?

I had a question come up recently and I was unsure of the exact answer. I believe he would qualify for a special enrollment period, but wanted to get another set of eyes on the question: Could someone enroll in Part B under a SEP multiple times?

The scenario was this:

If a person was retired, has Medicare Part A & Part B, then decides to go back to work, drop Part B, and go back on group insurance, can he re-enroll in part B under a special enrollment period if he retires again or would he only be able to sign up during the general enrollment period since he's had Part B before?

Normally you can sign up for a special enrollment period coming off of group insurance, but I wouldn't think it would be a one-time deal when you're new to Medicare, but I'm not 100% sure and couldn't find an answer to this scenario on the Medicare.gov website.

Thoughts?

I've had this happen a few times. Beneficiary gets SEP-LEC by having employer sign Request for Employer Information form (CMS L564) attesting to the EGHP and self-completes Medicare application (CMS 40B). Delivery of those completed forms to SSA generates the SEP. Beneficiary gets OE status for med supps, two-month window from end of EGHP to get Part D or MA.

The two forms are available from SSA by mail, but I have them saved on PC and iPad to easily get to my still working after 65 prospects.

Back