Health carriers vs. sales agents (rant)

That's my story. Take it for what it is worth. Carriers are not going to change as long as they are run by idiots. You are not going to get paid any quicker as long as those who stand between you & your paycheck earn theirs by just showing up.

Carriers don't have to change as long as there are agents who continue to reward them with a lot of business.

Again, how will would Microsoft do hiring software engineers at $12/hr?

I do not reward companies that pay low as-earned commissions with business. They do get the occasional deal because it is what it is.

As-earned is a stupid ridiculous concept. Great if you have a working spouse and 6 months in the bank. But to break into this industry correctly it's a lot of lead expenses, a hell of a lot of work and for a company to say "we'll cut you a check in 3 months" is asinine. And to tie getting an advance to ethics is also piss poor. There's not a sales job in this ENTIRE COUNTRY that pays as-earned from cars to home improvements.

Last edited:
I don't understand what you are trying to say. Things (sales) are going fine. What I was trying to convey is that this industry is broken, not only with the customer who buys the products, but with those who sell the products.

What I was trying to convey is that it seems as though you are unhappy with the individual market in California due to the Blues dominating the carrier and you are having a hard time selling some of the other carriers who may be more lax or underwriting and friendler towards their agents. Hence, selling in another state where you wish to place business.

There's not a sales job in this ENTIRE COUNTRY that pays as-earned from cars to home improvements.

Apples & oranges.

Cars, home improvement, (other things that are financed), the seller is paid as soon as the deal is funded.

I suppose if we start offering health insurance funding, $0 down, no interest for 12 months, first payment due June 2008, then carriers can advance anyone.

Until then you have the option (with at least some of the carriers) of as earned vs a loan.

Beyond that it is a preference. As you know,all of my business is as earned and that's the way I like it.

Some companies pay me 10% or 11% level, others pay 15% first year and 10% renewals while others pay 24% FYC then 4 - 6% renewals.

The 10% & 11% deals aren't real exciting, but the business sticks. Too early to tell how the 15/10% will play out but I do like high, level renewals.

I'm with Somarco on this. I LOVE as earned, granted it is a struggle until it builds up, but once it does, wow!

I've been out of work a fair amount since 4/05 when I was diagnosed with lung cancer (non smoker) and I bet my monthly income has not dropped 100.00. You've simply gotta love the steady, predictable income, it's the best pay plan on the planet. This is the reason that it really irks me that many of the term companies are not paying renewals.

To find the weakest people in a sales force, go to the middle.

The best sales people usually stay as sales people. Why would you pull your top producers out of the field to man a desk? They are producing. So you go down a few steps in the pecking order and find a person who people like, usually is kissing the right butts in the upper management and is a solid employee. He sells enough that you can pull him out of the sales force to management, and replace them with someone new who could probably in a few months be where the new manager was.

Welcome to corp America. When hard work gets you more headaches and politics get you to the top!

David C,
Me too. Like Somarco, I only do as earned but with the exception of Assurant and I make damn sure the customer is really into the Assurant plan. If I sense trepidation, I recommend quarterly billing to avoid a potential chargeback.

Every other carrier is as earned. You're right, it takes a while but its great when you get to a certain point. No guesswork. As earned, is real income. Chargebacks are very annoying. Its all preference though. Nothing wrong with either method.

I must say that BC, Aetna and UHC treat us great. No problems getting things done or deadlines extended. The bad thing is that premiums are so low in Ohio. At a company convention a few years ago, I ran into a guy who sold about 75% of the number of policies that I did. He also made about $100,000 more than me. Different State.

Latest posts

Back