health insurance agent questions

The questions

what made to pursue this career path?
What is the best option for total begginer to start after taking the course

I was always so curious about how the medical insurance system works and want to understand, so thinking now to take the course to educate myself and in the same time consider to find job in this field. any tips how to start? Im in Florida. any school recomendations?

thank you
When I was in my late 50s, the company I was working for was sold, and I lost my job. I could not find a decent job so I got my insurance license and started my own business.

I started out with a general agent who was very good at networking with the carriers and generating lead opportunities for his agents. Unfortunately, for some reason, he picked crappy FMOs that were difficult to work with so I ended up leaving. If you are on your own and want to be successful you need to be able to develop your own leads.

Focus on one type of insurance. Life or Medicare whatever you decide. Knowledge is power so keep asking and learning. This commission only agent position can be very challenging but also very rewarding once you get it off the ground. Good Luck

The one BIG topic I don't see discussed here, is where are you going to get your leads from? Getting licensed and knowledgeable are just the bare essentials for entry into the industry. Being new, you're not going to have a referral base. Do you have a natural warm market to sell into? You'll exhaust the friends and family thing in a few short months. Going with a captive agency is OK for their training, but unless they're feeding you leads, they bring nothing to the table. And if they're selling you those leads, you'll be more of a customer to them than anything else.

You need to prepare to spend a lot of time and money marketing yourself either way. That's what a lot of people entering into this business don't get. You're going to be spending 95% of your time marketing, 3-4% doing paperwork and only 1-2% actually working with clients. The world will not beat a path to your door, no matter how much better your mousetrap is.

Dont quit your day job you need a stream of income to generate those leads. I did Medicare part time then eventually went full time. My upline provided free leads. Now the return on mailers is so low they no longer supply them. See if they will split marketing money with you. The benefit coach is right where are your leads going to come from.

I agree with a lot of the experienced agents on this thread. Start somewhere where you’re captive and you can learn. Understand that your commission rate will be lower because your trading commissions for training. Once your good, go independent.

Treat your position like a business and not a job. Understand that you're going to work your butt off for the next two years with limited income and some extra debt. It's an investment in your future and will pay huge dividends if you're willing to do it.

Continually study and learn as much as you can about the market you're selling to. Keep up with the constant changes and be aware of what's happening. Treat studying and advanced education as part of your daily business.

Get good at one market or discipline before you try to sell anything else. Once you're proficient in one area, you can start learning to cross-sell in other products.

Finally, understand the opportunity. Although it can be a great business model, most people fail and very few succeed in insurance sales. As long as you realize this upfront, you will be ready for rejection, compliance changes, and charge-backs.

JimJam1 has an excellent point about not quitting the day job. While at Bankers for 2 1/2 years. I saw what seemed to be hundreds of new people come and go. One guy in his first day we asked him if he wanted to go to lunch. He said no. When we got back he was gone never to be seen again.

I don’t know the exact stats but I have to say that only a small percentage actually make it.

Applying to open roles with an applicable insurance license already in hand is always a plus . If you are invited to interview, you should focus on finding ways to articulate how you plan on building a book of business. Sales acumen is key!

Like everyone is telling you, it’s important to pick a particular specialty because the world of insurance is extremely vast. Being brand new to this industry, it’s recommended that you do not go it alone and you instead work for a company which pays a small hourly and commissions such as QuoteManage which is Medicare insurance if that’s something you’re interested in. Another large company that’s always hiring is United Healthcare and they’re an ENORMOUS company. As a newbie, I agree with most of the other responses you received that are recommended you work for a company and learn from them on their dime. Once you have done that for a year or so, you will be ready to do something on your own if that’s the path you choose. Just beware that when you do go on your own, this industry is absolutely infested with snakes that are only out to make a buck off of you and they’ll tell you any lies they can daydream up to get you into their down line.

The questions

what made to pursue this career path?
What is the best option for total begginer to start after taking the course

I was always so curious about how the medical insurance system works and want to understand, so thinking now to take the course to educate myself and in the same time consider to find job in this field. any tips how to start? Im in Florida. any school recomendations?

thank you

FL School of Insurance. Their entire staff & programs are excellent.

I stumbled my way into insurance. I left the military and realized that I had NO marketable skills. Nada. Zip. So, I ended up taking a job as a temp in the mail room at a major carrier. I stayed there twelve years, with roles as a customer service rep, then a medical underwriter, and eventually a National Sales Director. When the carrier dropped my specialty product, I told myself moving into sales would be easy. HAHAAHAAHAAAHAHAHAA! That was 21 years ago.

If you're getting into this business, there's a ton of opportunity, but you need a thick skin, and a thicker skull. It's not easy for the first few years, but if you stick with it, it'll get better. I strongly recommend finding a role with a captive carrier, and let them train you. Learn everything you can about their products, their competitors' products, the market you serve, and sales, then get out, and build your own business. You'll leave your renewals, but it'll be well worth it in the long run.

Good luck!

Back