Health Insurance Giant to Acquire Louisiana Blue

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
[EXTERNAL LINK] - Elevance Health to Acquire Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana | ThinkAdvisor

Elevance Health — the health insurance giant formerly known as Anthem — has agreed to acquire Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana.

For clients who have Medicare coverage, or who are thinking about future coverage needs, the deal may mean that Blue Cross and Blue Shield carriers will be in a position to compete harder for Medicare plan business in Louisiana and in the rest of the country. That could increase the quality of private Medicare plan options and hold down the cost.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Elevance Health to Acquire Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana | ThinkAdvisor

Elevance Health — the health insurance giant formerly known as Anthem — has agreed to acquire Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana.

For clients who have Medicare coverage, or who are thinking about future coverage needs, the deal may mean that Blue Cross and Blue Shield carriers will be in a position to compete harder for Medicare plan business in Louisiana and in the rest of the country. That could increase the quality of private Medicare plan options and hold down the cost.

Or the opposite could be true as well. Anthem purchased Caremore MAPD, a highly rated So Calif plan in 2017. Caremore had so many loyal members that it was not unusual to have members who had been on the plan for 15+ years.
By Fall 2019, it failed to negotiate a new and acceptable contract with the doctors who made up the network. With very short notice to angents and the public after back and forth, the doctors abruptly dropped Anthem and left thousands of members looking for a new plan.
Never underestimate Anthem’s ability to mess up a good thing.

I'm just over here in Louisiana watching and waiting. Thus far, all they have done is announced the intent. It should take about 9 months or so to complete. I withhold any opinion (even though I have them) until it is done.

Back