Health Insurance Sales, Career Questions

Ryan Jones

I started a health insurance sales job with a brokerage selling individual medical and supplemental plans (independent agent). They provide leads. Because I started during covid and work from home, I have a lot of questions about the typical trajectory of someone on this career path. Like how much do people typically earn? How long does it take to make decent money? What percentage of people stick with it? Do people switch agencies/brokerages or stick with one? Any advice about any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

So if you say you are an independent and also receive free leads from that agency then not a bad deal. Some start as captive agents. Trajectory varies depends on which products are your focus and how well you can sell. But in general independent agents are pretty much self-employed or like entrepreneurs so you are on your own. You earn commissions and/or overrides plus whatever it is out there. This is not a steady job or a secured path to prosperity, and you have to work things out. People come and go all the time. Some make great money and some barely getting by. Switching agency is also pretty common. Marketing is the key in this business. In general it will take a few year before you figure things out and start making decent money.

Agree with Up In Smoke. I have seen many people in your position wash-out after a short time. Working for someone else is tough. I would add that you may want to expand your knowledge/understanding of the business, and other lines of coverage, such as; group, life, disability, etc. Best of luck.

Back