Healthshare

Robin Harris

I have had major problems with Altrua Healthshare processing my clients' accounts. I have spent much time trying to get payment issues resolved. My clients' are frustrated. My biggest concern is if they are this way with monthly payments, how are they going to be with claims. Because of my numerous emails, phone calls, threeway conversations and frustration Altrua has terminated my contract. They say I have "lashed out at" and "hung up on" their staff. I am now not able to communicate with except through email and no email was given. I consulted with my attorney and the attorney is writing a letter to Altrua in order to get commissions reimbursed. Altrua said they would reimburse only for the first 12 months, but I have been selling with them since July and have only received $45 dollars. And this is from enrolling 14 individuals and families. I called the department of insurance in my state and they weren't helpful. My questions are 1) Who do I report Altrua to since they are a healthshare? Is that only the Better Business Bureau. 2) It is difficult to just move my clients' to another plan. They have already paid $125 applications fees and are between 1 to 6 months into their pre-existing period. But the concern is Altrua does not seem reliable to pay claims if they cannot process a simple monthly payment. The attorney suggested I write a letter to explain what is happening. Can I offer in the letter to pay reimbursement for the $125 application fee, because the new healthshare would have the same fee?

I have had major problems with Altrua Healthshare processing my clients' accounts. I have spent much time trying to get payment issues resolved. My clients' are frustrated. My biggest concern is if they are this way with monthly payments, how are they going to be with claims. Because of my numerous emails, phone calls, threeway conversations and frustration Altrua has terminated my contract. They say I have "lashed out at" and "hung up on" their staff. I am now not able to communicate with except through email and no email was given. I consulted with my attorney and the attorney is writing a letter to Altrua in order to get commissions reimbursed. Altrua said they would reimburse only for the first 12 months, but I have been selling with them since July and have only received $45 dollars. And this is from enrolling 14 individuals and families. I called the department of insurance in my state and they weren't helpful. My questions are 1) Who do I report Altrua to since they are a healthshare? Is that only the Better Business Bureau. 2) It is difficult to just move my clients' to another plan. They have already paid $125 applications fees and are between 1 to 6 months into their pre-existing period. But the concern is Altrua does not seem reliable to pay claims if they cannot process a simple monthly payment. The attorney suggested I write a letter to explain what is happening. Can I offer in the letter to pay reimbursement for the $125 application fee, because the new healthshare would have the same fee?

This is why it is extremely dangerous for insurance agents to market "non-insurance" products. When you sell them, you are no longer acting as an Insurance Agent.

Report the situation to your state's Attorney Generals Office. They have complaint processes and they are the ones with legal jurisdiction to do something about the situation.

And hopefully they will shut down that, and all "non-insurance" companies that market their products as insurance alternatives.

There is a reason I did not put these clients on short term. But thank you for your comment.
I will definitely make a complaint to the Attorney General. Thank you

Last edited:
What STM can be written for the entire year without having a newly incurred claim become a significant pre-ex? In addition, what STM has reasonable coverage without significant limitations other than pre-ex. Everything I've looked at has things like low dollar limits on RX, requires underwriting at each of the reissue dates bla, bla, bla. Also, street level commissions not including over rides are high enough that there isn't much left for paying claims. That has been the case in the great state of TN.

These are the reasons as an insurance agent, I chose not to sell a non insurance product. No oversight, no protections, no recourse (for client and agents) and no way on the back end to help the client with claims or payment. I knew these plans weren't prepared for the volume and would crumble due to the stress put on any rookie player in this space. Not to mention how it was or is mis-sold by some agents. I chose not to sell something just for the sake of having "something" to sell them as many scrambled for alternatives. Clients rely on you to know what is best given the situation, we will see how this plays out.

Back