Heart Attack Over a Yr Ago

it doesn't matter that he's been declined twice and it's on MIB...for all we know he could have applied to the state farms, allstates, etc. that would automatically decline him. The company depends on overall medical picture, but I've had success with a number of companies after recent heart attack - Prudential, AmGen, Met, and recently with Principal 3 months post heart attack on a couple of cases...mild heart attack, single vessel stent, favorable post cardiac workups.

Many company impaired guidelines say 6 months before consideration, that's normal, and if you submitted without getting an underwriter on board first it would probably tank. I obtain medical records up front on cases which I realize most agents won't do, but impaired risk is the market I work in and it helps in getting offers from carriers.

I agree, with giving underwriters reasons to approve.

The last carrier to decline was Am Gen. I was sure that they would take him, but...
thanks for all of the imput, I will definitely look into some of the carriers that were mentioned. I looked into trans, but I expected a decline from them as well. KSKJ who is that?

it doesn't matter that he's been declined twice and it's on MIB...for all we know he could have applied to the state farms, allstates, etc. that would automatically decline him. The company depends on overall medical picture, but I've had success with a number of companies after recent heart attack - Prudential, AmGen, Met, and recently with Principal 3 months post heart attack on a couple of cases...mild heart attack, single vessel stent, favorable post cardiac workups.

Many company impaired guidelines say 6 months before consideration, that's normal, and if you submitted without getting an underwriter on board first it would probably tank. I obtain medical records up front on cases which I realize most agents won't do, but impaired risk is the market I work in and it helps in getting offers from carriers.

And of these examples you cite, how many of them were after 2 formal declines from before?

You give the prospect the best chance by doing pre underwriting before a formal app. The same thing most of us do when the applicant has questionable health.

I think you're blowing a little smoke up others skirts here as really, you don't do anything differently than I or other agents do. pre underwriting.

Now if you're saying you can get this guy underwritten for the OP, that's different. Can you do it on a budgeted premium for a face amount beyond FE?

I'd be more impressed with that. When should the OP expect to hear from you? You've made some boasts here that honestly, are BS.

You're not going to get a recent heart attack a budget friendly policy, that's just not true. You might be able to get them a policy but the applicant's bargaining chip (good health) is long gone, even with the companies you mention. I write with those guys too. Nobody on that list of carriers is giving preferred for a year out heart attack. Cheers.

----------

my client had a heart attack in july of 2014. I have been trying to find a carrier that would accept him and so far I have had 2 declines. he is 46 non smoker, pretty big guy 6'5 271. We were looking for a term product but I know that that is out! I thought of going joint survivor but I think it is too expensive. He has a pretty strict budget. Would guarantee issue be his only solution?

He has a pretty strict budget.

Last edited:
The last carrier to decline was Am Gen. I was sure that they would take him, but...
thanks for all of the imput, I will definitely look into some of the carriers that were mentioned. I looked into trans, but I expected a decline from them as well. KSKJ who is that?

KSKJ = Kranjsko Slovenska Katoliska Jednota. They're a Fraternal out of Illinois with liberal UW and very competitive(usually the lowest)pricing.

http://www.kskjlife.com/

He was declined through AIG which we did send in a questionaire for underwriting prior to submitting the app and they gave a tentative green light. The other carrier was Genworth.

He was declined through AIG which we did send in a questionaire for underwriting prior to submitting the app and they gave a tentative green light. The other carrier was Genworth.

Was there something more that he didn't disclose? Did they give you a reason for going away from their green light?

There very well could be something in his labs or APS. Unfortunately those two companies are PIAs when it comes to talking to the underwriter. Since you are not direct with them you need your upline to try to get more information from the carriers. If you are under a GA, bypass them and get to the brokerage. If that does not work call the companies but know they will pitch a fit to the brokerage.

Until you know what they know you are spinning your wheels going fully underwritten.

Back