Hello from Central CA!

C

cacyang

Hello,
I am from the Central Valley of California. I am a single mother so I do not have much to start off with. I understand it will take a lot of time and work into being an agent. Unlike most members here, I am not licensed or in the process of so YET. I am mainly interested in selling life insurance; therefore, I am considering home and medical as well.

I have been contacted by a few insurance company, but I have not made any further step. I have been contacted by these following companies: Farmers, Insphere, Liberty National, Aflac, and AIL. I am not sure which company to go with. I am thinking about contacting State Farm for information as well. Could anyone provide any advice, experience, or suggestions that they've had with these companies or any other companies. Thank you all & have a good day.

If you sell home and auto, you need a P&C license. If you sell life, you need a life license. They are two different licenses and tests and set of fees.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Oh if you sell medical, you need health, which can be taken in conjunction with your life but it also a separate license.

Last edited:
If you sell home and auto, you need a P&C license. If you sell life, you need a life license. They are two different licenses and tests and set of fees.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Oh if you sell medical, you need health, which can be taken in conjunction with your life but it also a separate license.

Thank you for the response jhuang. Which company would you recommend for a starter?

Welcome!

I am also new to the forum and would have a few suggestions for you based on some of the things I have learned.

1. As Jhuang stated, you will want to first choose one license to focus on. Either life & health, or property & casualty. I personally like life & health because it seems to be a lot easier to get started and find help in that category.

2. You mentioned several companies you are considering contacting. However, why choose just one? If you become an independant agent, you will be able to offer your clients much more options instead of having to force one company's products on them. There are several posts on becoming an independant agent, I would check those out for further information.

3. If you do decide to go the independant route vs. the captive route (selling for just one company), your next step will be to find a independant general agent that will help you get started. After you get your license, talk to a few general agents and see which one meets your needs.

I know this is not a lot of information, but hopefully this points you in the right direction on some initial steps to take. ;)

I would suggest, if you are selling life insurance, is to learn one product and niche.

Term life-for families that need protection temporarily
Final Expense-for individuals that had put off life insurance, but want just to cover burial expense.

Whole life can get a bit complicated with estate and financial planning realm. Unless you feel comfortable with that, then do it. But Term and Final Expense is a good start for beginners.

Back