Hello from Texas!

txinsurance1

Hello to all. I am a newly appointed agent as of January of this year. I contemplated getting into the insurance business for about 2-3 years before I finally decided to take the state licensing exams for L&H and P&C in April of 2011. And am proud to say that i passed both on the first try....I sure didn't want to have to pay/take those exams again.
I have been a reader of this forum since the beginning of this year even though i just recently registered. I have found alot of helpful and positive information from some great people out there and of course some that doesn't necessarily belong.
Anyway, I am currently working for a debit company which has its pros and cons as everything else. I have found out that in this side of the business, a certain percentage of clients will give you the majority of your headaches, ie. tracking a client down only to have them tell you that you will have to come back for their monthly premium. I was really hoping to receive some better training initially instead of the 1 week read this and that and you're off but i understand that alot of your knowledge and experience will come in the field. I just hate passing along some information that come to find out was wrong. Anyway, enough about that. My intentions were to get in captive with a company and get my feet wet and someday open an independent agency. Although working independently from home starts to sound alot better due to overhead costs.
We have a great forum here and I look forward to spending more time on here and who knows, maybe our paths will cross one day.

I am from Texas and new to this also, I am currently studying for my l&h license. What was the exam like? Was it hard? I've heard the l&h was easier than the p&c. What study material did you use, If you don't mind me asking.

I am from Texas and new to this also, I am currently studying for my l&h license. What was the exam like? Was it hard? I've heard the l&h was easier than the p&c. What study material did you use, If you don't mind me asking.

Hey Sparks,

For me the life and health was easier. The P&C side has alot more stuff to it. Somehow i scored the exact same on both tests. When i was about half way through the P&C exam i started thinking that I was going to have to take it again. I was happily surprised when i saw the score.
I used ExamFX for both. I ordered the kit which included the self study booklet, access to practice exams online and a CD that i listened to in my truck when i was going to and from work. I felt prepared by using their materials.
Good luck to you!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Welcome to the forum.
All my exes live in your state.

Thanks tins......mine do to.
Reminds me of the Allstate commercial. This means we're like kind of connected......:D

Last edited:
txinsurance1 said:
Hey Sparks,

For me the life and health was easier. The P&C side has alot more stuff to it. Somehow i scored the exact same on both tests. When i was about half way through the P&C exam i started thinking that I was going to have to take it again. I was happily surprised when i saw the score.
I used ExamFX for both. I ordered the kit which included the self study booklet, access to practice exams online and a CD that i listened to in my truck when i was going to and from work. I felt prepared by using their materials.
Good luck to you!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks tins........mine do to.
Reminds me of that Allstate commercial. We're like kind of connected....:laugh:

I am using the examfx also but I don't believe I will receive a booklet or a cd, the info on the site is helping me alot though. About how long did you study before taking it? I work 50+ hours a week so I'm pushing when I study 3 a night.

I am using the examfx also but I don't believe I will receive a booklet or a cd, the info on the site is helping me alot though. About how long did you study before taking it? I work 50+ hours a week so I'm pushing when I study 3 a night.

I think i studied about a month and a half on both. Some nights i studied pretty hard and others not so much. My thing was to not cram everynight. You have to give yourself a little break from it at times. I think the kits were $125 each when i ordered them.

Back