Hippo Ho3 Insurance Renewals

RickyG

Expert
This is what Hippo is emailing to "select" clients regarding renewals:

"We are contacting you today regarding the upcoming review of your Hippo Insurance policy XXXXXXX. As part of the renewal process, you are required to complete a 30-45 minute exterior and interior inspection of your home by 09/08/2023. Details on how to successfully complete this process using your mobile device are below...

Please note that this inspection is a critical underwriting requirement and failure to comply may prevent us from renewing your policy. The renewal of your policy is dependent on the findings of this inspection."

Yeah, that seems reasonable, a spend upwards of an hour doing an inspection for your current home insurance company. These "insuretech" companies are a trip. They came into Nevada buying up rate, giving away $250-300+ in absolutely free SimpliSafe equipment and now have stopped writing new business and make renewing extremely difficult. Who could have seen that coming!? Root, Swyyft, Hippo and I am guessing soon to follow will be Lemonade in the P&C graveyard

Yah, as a California Agent- I got to tell you we get these sort of annual or biannual inspections more and more. [Although its a bit of a wrinkle when the client themselves has to do the inspection.] I have just warnded clients that that is just the deal these days.

Sad as it is to say - I think these may be here to stay with us for the next several years.

I have found some [non necesarily Hippos] of these self inspection apps are pretty easy to use, but the real problem is often for locations where there is no cell phone reception. The app will lock up when you are 80% completed.

Yah, as a California Agent- I got to tell you we get these sort of annual or biannual inspections more and more. [Although its a bit of a wrinkle when the client themselves has to do the inspection.] I have just warnded clients that that is just the deal these days.

Sad as it is to say - I think these may be here to stay with us for the next several years.

I have found some [non necesarily Hippos] of these self inspection apps are pretty easy to use, but the real problem is often for locations where there is no cell phone reception. The app will lock up when you are 80% completed.

The problem I anticipate is that they will non renew the vast majority of these self-inspected policies anyway. That this is basically just a pointless exercise so they can justify the non-renewal. I say that because just before they stopped writing in Nevada they started asking for self-inspections or inspection reports on new purchases (because buyers didn't live in home yet to walk around for 45 min with a phone and do it). I sent over 2 very clean home inspections that both were denied. No real reason given. Just more games, just non renew and stop wasting everyone's time is my thing.

Back