Home Owners in FL. What Companies Write It?

Citizens is the state-backed insurer of last resort that we go to when something doesn't qualify but they won't coverage pool enclosures.
I think they came back and changed this again. I believe they do cover the attached enclosures now. Best to check with the carrier again. Citizens is just a pain. They are hard to keep up with. We pretty much stopped writing with them altogether. If the risk only fits with citizens it's probably not worth our time writing anyway.

That was my guess, that there are limited appointments. I think some companies limit the business to already appointed local agencies, so buying an agency outside the area and trying to write south Florida stuff might be out of the question.

I think they came back and changed this again. I believe they do cover the attached enclosures now. Best to check with the carrier again. Citizens is just a pain. They are hard to keep up with. We pretty much stopped writing with them altogether. If the risk only fits with citizens it's probably not worth our time writing anyway.

Depends on the area you are in I guess. Once you get used to writing Citizens, its not a big deal. I run into a lot of people with roofs that are too old for private companies to want. All of our companies have tightened up. Universal has opened up though. Plus Citizens policies get taken out by private carriers. Occasionally, we'll get a new contract out of it.

I'm unaware of any new changes that include covering aluminum-framed screen enclosures.

Last edited:
That was my guess, that there are limited appointments. I think some companies limit the business to already appointed local agencies, so buying an agency outside the area and trying to write south Florida stuff might be out of the question.

Depends on the area you are in I guess. Once you get used to writing Citizens, its not a big deal. I run into a lot of people with roofs that are too old for private companies to want. All of our companies have tightened up. Universal has opened up though. Plus Citizens policies get taken out by private carriers. Occasionally, we'll get a new contract out of it.

I'm unaware of any new changes that include covering aluminum-framed screen enclosures.

He is correct on this they do NOT cover screen enclosure, carport, gazebo etc....

I just to add my two cents. Having previous experience as a citizens underwriter I can tell you what my opinion is on the matter. They bit off more than they can chew and became the largest HO writer in the state. Unfortunately they realized this very late and the failed attempts at trying to minimize exposure through take outs has not been very successful the process is messy and most of the time you don't have a premium to advise your client properly. At this point I feel that they make agents life a little more difficult so that agents think twice prior to binding with them, hopefully making it last resort, as it was originally developed.

Now they will turn to the clearing house as of 1/1/14.

Yeah I agree. Can't wait to see how the clearing house works out. We are getting all of these companies requesting take outs on one particular policy.

Hi Mohammed Abid, could you tell me how the Globalgreen franchise works? and if they have contract with the majors?Thanks.

Where in Florida are you located because hat will give me a idea on what companies are competitive in your area. Below is all the companies writing in south Florida.

ASI
Safeway
People's trust
Prepared
Sawgrass
Tower hill
Heritage
Federated National
Florida Peninsula
Universal P&C
Universal of North America
United
Southern Oak
St Johns

Also:
American Strategic
Heritage
Security First (great rates)

Also:
American Strategic
Heritage
Security First (great rates)

ASI is limited in the tri county but a really strong company. Security First I heard was competitive on DP-3's. I will have them next week. Heritage is in the middle of the competitive pool of companies.

ASI is limited in the tri county but a really strong company. Security First I heard was competitive on DP-3's. I will have them next week. Heritage is in the middle of the competitive pool of companies.

Security First is very competitive on all policy forms, especially HO-3's right now. I just bound a new policy with them about 20 mins ago; beat Tower Hill by approx $800 with same coverage-actually more. I don't do much business through Heritage.

Back