Homeowners coverage

Similar new homes are going for $555k. Your calculator is showing $575k but I did it a level III. It's one story but crazy roof angles.
So $555k - $110k (land value) = $445k.
And $445k + $25k (buffer) =$470k
$470k should be a safe number to insure the house? Even at the $575k number this seems inline.
Thanks for your help!!

The market value of your house means absolutely nothing in this equation. Replacement cost does not equal necessarily replacement cost. 99% of the time in a regular homeowners policy it is only going to be based off replacement cost because the insurance carrier is reimbursing you to rebuild the property back to how it was. Not to cover what its market value is. They are completely independent variables of one another in this situation.

I'm not rebuilding I'm probably moving

Read your policy. Some policies/coverages discount the claim payoff if you dont rebuild on same location. Instead of receiving the replacement cost of the structure, you may only receive the depreciation amount if you dont rebuild at the insured location

I had a very similar conversation with a grouchy old guy some time back. He kept saying "My son is in construction. He would build this house for way less than that Dwelling amount." Finally I said to him "Next time you see your son, ask him how much he would charge you to build the same house. I'm sure he'd give you the best price in the world. Then ask him how much if it were an insurance job, and watch his eyes light up." The old guy paused and said "OK, I see what you're saying." and it never came up again.

My point is that the carriers know they are not getting any breaks from the contractors. So their cost estimators are at top dollar, including parts, labor, profit and overhead, cutting no corners and pulling all permits.

I had a very similar conversation with a grouchy old guy some time back. He kept saying "My son is in construction. He would build this house for way less than that Dwelling amount." Finally I said to him "Next time you see your son, ask him how much he would charge you to build the same house. I'm sure he'd give you the best price in the world. Then ask him how much if it were an insurance job, and watch his eyes light up." The old guy paused and said "OK, I see what you're saying." and it never came up again.

My point is that the carriers know they are not getting any breaks from the contractors. So their cost estimators are at top dollar, including parts, labor, profit and overhead, cutting no corners and pulling all permits.

That's a rebuttal hall of fame nominee right there. Great one!

Back