How are homeowner's insurance agents compensated when....

You shouldn't have to change policies, nor should you want to. Your agent should add an endorsement to either cover you for said business on your home policy or write you a totally separate business policy in addition to your home.

If he is accommodating your request to do this, he is an order taker agent and you need a trusted advisor that tells you where to mitgate risks, saving money is secondary. The liability exposure for your business can occur 24x7x365xforever and turning it off and on based solely on WHEN you conduct business leaves you exposed.

For instance I say I stayed at your place in the middle.of your off season. You have no coverage... BUT you will have the legal expense of defending my frivolous lawsuit.

Dont worry about how your agent is paid or not, worry about if he or she is earning that money regardless of what it is, what it was and what the renewal gets them.

You shouldn't have to change policies, nor should you want to. Your agent should add an endorsement to either cover you for said business on your home policy or write you a totally separate business policy in addition to your home.
Yes, agreed. I still do not understand why you are changing from "Business" to "Personal" and then back again every six months. Is this a second home? Where are you picking up the personal liability when its in business mode?

Back