How Are Most Affording Health Care These Days? Any Suggestions?

Re: How Are Most Affording Health Care These Days? Any Suggestio

Everyone you have talked with is right. Michigan prices are cheap, but you are getting a great deal. You should follow some of the suggestions made on the forum and also verify your eligibility for aid.

Dental/Vision is a different story. While you are certainly more then free to purchase a discount card I would advise against it since they are cheaper alternatives. Here are some strategies to reduce your expenses.

1) Sam's Club normally has independent Optometrists that charge very low fees compared to other facilities. I typically pay about $70 for an extensive eye exam 1-2 times a year that normally costs me $125 per visit.

2) Local colleges are a great way to get dental-vision work completed. Students get to practice what they learn under supervision and the rates are super cheap. I don't recommend this route for extensive work, but do what you feel is right.

3) Zennioptical.com is the place I have found to purchase glasses. I've been using them and recommend them to all of my clients. Glasses start off at $8 and go up from there.

4) Cut down any expenses you don't need and save for a rainy day. Search online for any and all deals. Create a contest amongst friends about who can get a better deal. I've cut my lunch expenses down to $.75-$1.20 each day depending upon the meal.

Feel free to post any Faygo coupons you come across.

J.R.

The only thing odd about this thread is a $10,000 deductible on a group plan. I don't recall seeing a deductible that high outside of partially self funded plans.

The only thing odd about this thread is a $10,000 deductible on a group plan. I don't recall seeing a deductible that high outside of partially self funded plans.

I just quoted a Uhc small group with a $10K deductible in SC, they are available here as well.

You need to get out more, and see what's happening.

I don't understand how a four person family could live on $40,000 without things being tight. Health care, gas, groceries, ect are only going to continue to rise despite the temporary lulls, the lower middle class will continue to get squeezed harder. I don't say that to be a dick.

Does your wife work? I know you would likely have to pay day care costs, but even then, it sounds like netting an extra $1,000 per month would make a big difference in your household. I know one of my clients who lives off around the same income and refuses to have his wife work outside the home, as a result, they may lose their house.

Depends on the wife's job skills. What if the wife doesn't have a degree or marketable skill? If that's the case she's looking at $8/hr jobs.

That's $320/wk but now you need full-time child care for two kids. Price it up and you'll be starting the bidding at $150/wk per kid or $300. So she'd net $20.

We're in that exact same position - not financially but my wife worked as kind of a glorified assistant for a major bank for 14 years. Before that she was a Hooters waitress. Don't think she could get that position back at 47.

After she got laid off the only job she found was working at a daycare for $7.50. After we crunched the numbers she was better off home. As our son got older she went back looking for a job - even part time. After looking for about 6 months, filling out endless online applications (which was the only way to apply with most companies) and not even getting a single call back, she threw in the towel.

Last edited:

John: If you would stop making so much money maybe your family would qualify for a subsidy in the new Obama exchange :)

John: If you would stop making so much money maybe your family would qualify for a subsidy in the new Obama exchange :)

Since I still feel that health insurance agents will be out of business if Obamacrap isn't repealed, John will not have any issue qualifying for a subsidy in the near future. (I'll be right behind him in line).

Rick

Depends on the wife's job skills. What if the wife doesn't have a degree or marketable skill? If that's the case she's looking at $8/hr jobs.

That's $320/wk but now you need full-time child care for two kids. Price it up and you'll be starting the bidding at $150/wk per kid or $300. So she'd net $20.

We're in that exact same position - not financially but my wife worked as kind of a glorified assistant for a major bank for 14 years. Before that she was a Hooters waitress. Don't think she could get that position back at 47.

After she got laid off the only job she found was working at a daycare for $7.50. After we crunched the numbers she was better off home. As our son got older she went back looking for a job - even part time. After looking for about 6 months, filling out endless online applications (which was the only way to apply with most companies) and not even getting a single call back, she threw in the towel.

Same thing here, My wife stayed at home for 9 yrs, professional TV watcher...She also looked for work, nothing, She too threw the towel in.... She had 20 yrs in IT, training new employees, worked for ad agencies in NYC, worked on the famous miller beer commercials taste great/less filling (back office stuff) etc....so she went back to school for medical coding, 8 month course. She is doing great to her credit. I didn't know she was so smart, becasue she married me.

Back