How Do I Get an Exemption from the Fee for Not Having Health Coverage?

STIBROKER

Like My post and enter the DRAWING,,,,
Texas
https://www.healthcare.gov/exemptions/

so....all you have to do is not pay your electric bill and get a shut off notice....nice.......and can all texans over the 100% claim this and get a exemption according to 12.....

Hardship exemptions

If you have any of the circumstances below that affect your ability to purchase health insurance coverage, you may qualify for a “hardship” exemption:

1. You were homeless.
  2. You were evicted in the past 6 months or were facing eviction or foreclosure.
  3. You received a shut-off notice from a utility company.
  4. You recently experienced domestic violence.
  5. You recently experienced the death of a close family member.
  6. You experienced a fire, flood, or other natural or human-caused disaster that caused substantial damage to your property.
  7. You filed for bankruptcy in the last 6 months.
  8. You had medical expenses you couldn’t pay in the last 24 months.
  9. You experienced unexpected increases in necessary expenses due to caring for an ill, disabled, or aging family member.
  10. You expect to claim a child as a tax dependent who’s been denied coverage in Medicaid and CHIP, and another person is required by court order to give medical support to the child. In this case, you do not have the pay the penalty for the child.
  11. As a result of an eligibility appeals decision, you’re eligible for enrollment in a qualified health plan (QHP) through the Marketplace, lower costs on your monthly premiums, or cost-sharing reductions for a time period when you weren’t enrolled in a QHP through the Marketplace.
  12. You were determined ineligible for Medicaid because your state didn’t expand eligibility for Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act.

Last edited:

so....all you have to do is not pay your electric bill and get a shut off notice....nice.......and can all texans over the 100% claim this and get a exemption according to 12.....

Hardship exemptions

You recently experienced domestic violence.

So let me get this straight; all I have to do is say my wife looks fat in a dress and I don't have the pay a penalty?

• Staff

Hardship exemptions

You recently experienced domestic violence.

So let me get this straight; all I have to do is say my wife looks fat in a dress and I don't have the pay a penalty?

I can see it now.....honey....I need you to hit me with this bat......I will bail you out in a hour...it will be cheaper than paying for health insurance....

What about the so called 8% rule. I have been told by a large Chicago based agency that if marketplace coverage is above 8% of household income then the individual is exempt from the fines. This would drastically reduce the amount of people paying fines.

Any truth to this one?

What about the so called 8% rule. I have been told by a large Chicago based agency that if marketplace coverage is above 8% of household income then the individual is exempt from the fines. This would drastically reduce the amount of people paying fines.

Any truth to this one?

I heard the same exact thing. I think you can find it on healthcare .gov

----------

what a friggin mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself..

----------

• Staff

Any truth to this one?

it is on the link I provided......

Exemptions from the payment

Under certain circumstances, you won’t have to make the individual responsibility payment. This is called an “exemption.”
You may qualify for an exemption if:

• You’re uninsured for less than 3 months of the year
  • The lowest-priced coverage available to you would cost more than 8% of your household income
  • You don’t have to file a tax return because your income is too low (Learn about the filing limit.)
  • You’re a member of a federally recognized tribe or eligible for services through an Indian Health Services provider
  • You’re a member of a recognized health care sharing ministry
  • You’re a member of a recognized religious sect with religious objections to insurance, including Social Security and Medicare
  • You’re incarcerated, and not awaiting the disposition of charges against you
  • You’re not lawfully present in the U.S.

5-22-2014

A couple more exemptions have been added to the "hardship" list. Number 14 is the catch-all that any filer can use to avoid paying the individual mandate penalty at tax time.

"14. You experienced another hardship in obtaining health insurance."

Source: https://www.healthcare.gov/exemptions/
ac

Back