How do you ask for ss# and dl#

I run into the same problems with my internet leads more so with socials though. I always soften the blow of letting them know it's more of an "insurance credit check" other than a regular credit check, and let them know that other factors than their credit are pulled up from their social. I also let them know that if i don't have their dl when I run their mvr/clue report later it could pull up accidents and violations and make the quote I gave them invalid which will just cause them more time and hassle in the long run.

Let them know that by providing you the most accurate information up front they will be getting the most accurate quote and this way the premium quoted isn't going to go up later.

I ask over two hundred people plus per year for their Social Security number over the phone, and not a single one has refused.

It's all in the way you ask. If you ask like you're expecting to get it -- they'll give it.

If you don't, they won't.

I agree. I have started selling more and more Med Supps over the phone. I don't use internet leads, I cold call.

I have never had anyone refuse to give me their SSN number.

I also believe that it is the inflection in your voice and the way you ask it. If you hem and haw and say something like "I also need your SSN number" and it sounds like you think you really should not be asking for it they most likely will say no.

I use to be hesitant about asking. I would get to that part of the app and say "I need your SSN number" and without pausing I would add, "if you don't have it handy I can get that after we go through the health questions".

I think subconsciously they wanted me to know that they had it memorized and would rattle off the numbers without even thinking about it.

Last edited:
I agree. I have started selling more and more Med Supps over the phone. I don't use internet leads, I cold call.

I have never had anyone refuse to give me their SSN number.

I also believe that it is the inflection in your voice and the way you ask it. If you hem and haw and say something like "I also need your SSN number" and it sounds like you think you really should not be asking for it they most likely will say no.

I use to be hesitant about asking. I would get to that part of the app and say "I need your SSN number" and without pausing I would add, "if you don't have it handy I can get that after we go through the health questions".

I think subconsciously they wanted me to know that they had it memorized and would rattle off the numbers without even thinking about it.

Is this BEFORE or AFTER you offered them the Microwave??
:nah:

You need the SS # so that if someone calls the home office to make changes to the policy, the company will ask questions to identify that it is the policyholder. It's for the protection of the policyholder. Otherwise, a neighbor could change the beneficiary and name themselves.

You need the DL # because, if they have a couple of DUIs, they are a high risk and will either be rated or declined. If they have accidents, or DUIs, their car insurance company raises their rates. The same is true with life and health.

Mention that ALL insurance companies ask for this information--car insurance, health insurance, life insurance.

The information is ONLY used to qualify you for the insurance and then to identify you after the policy is issued.

If they still won't give you info over the phone, which occasionally happens to every agent, just say the magic word: next (prospect).

A few thoughts on this subject.

You don't need a social security number 95% of the time for a quote. If you have a person's DOB, current address, and previous address if they've lived there less than 6 months you can get an accurate credit report without the SS. Just explain to your prospect credit scoring is part of the deal and most of the time you can get the credit score without a ss number. On occasion you may have to call back for the actual number if the system can't find the propsect. If they won't give it to you if you need it, move on.

I do need a DL number to run quotes as a couple of my companies order MVRs on the front end. I have not had any trouble getting a DL number when I inform them I will be running an MVR on the front end per company policy. IF they balk, move on.

For non-P&C agents, credit scoring is part of the deal with most major carriers (all of the ones I write with) so you have to order a credit score before quoting a policy. You can't have them fill out the social security number on a blank app and then have them send it directly to the company.

One last note. Remember to protect your customers information. You can be charged with civil and criminal penalties if a criminal gets a hold of the personal information via your office or you.

Ask your carriers who subscribes to "pre fill" from choicepoint. They are all privy to that info. at the home office and it will pull up SS, DL#'s, prior carrier and prior limits when you enter DOB and name and address.
Assuming your state laws are similar to ours.

Our telemarketer simply gets DOB, vehicles and their usage and we can supply an apples to apples comparison. Prospect has given their approval when they agree to receive the quote in our state.

Suprised some scammers haven't uncovered this unique way to steal from people....that I know of

Back