How Does an Older Population Help Insurance Companies

dlc2008dlc

does an older population hurt or help health insurance agencies?

How is a shortage of healthcare workers conisidered a threat in a SWOT analysis?

sorry to ask so many rookie questions. I am a student who choose a health insurance company to perform a SWOT analysis. Have just a week to put together a 15 min speech on a topic I know very little bit about.

Last edited:
What are you analyzing again? An insurance company or agency? Are you analyzing the entire company (if that's it) or a segment of it? Any specific company? Have to ask, there are many many variables that can change the answer to your questions.

That being said, older populations use healthcare more than younger people, so I guess that could hurt. But tend to pay more for the most part (although that can vary also) that is until they enroll in Medicare. Then costs shift to the government.

Not sure on the healthcare worker shortage question.

I have a to do a SWOT analysis on a fictitious health insurance company. I know thats very broad and the reason why it's making a murderous assignment. That along with given a week and I know very little about healthcare/health issurance. I just need a few examples of each S-W-O-T. There are some examples online but they don't explain in detail. Such as, "Shortage of healthcare workers" as a threat.

Last edited:
No, it's not a threat. It's largely irrelevant. If anything it makes building a provider network easier.

SWOT will not impact an insurance company.

It sounds to me that you are confusing a insurance company with actual medical providers.

Looks like you will be getting D-

S - Company has good financials, good management, great staff.
W - Government regulation, natural disasters, adverse selection, economy
O - New business, good economy.
T - President Obama

Back