How Does this Happen?

GXR2

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
You work your tail off to make a living, come in early, stay late, cold call, hit the pavement, market to prospects... while veteran agents do nothing all day, come in late, leave early, socialize with coworkers, but yet still make make their numbers and even surpass them. What gives?

Last edited:
Once you've been in the business awhile & have created referral networks...it's very possible. I started cold calling etc & now my phone rings daily w/ people wanting quotes from my referral network I've built up.

You never know what's going on behind closed doors, but again after about 2.5 years other producers were think the same about me. I was coming in late because I'd have policies to finish first thing in the morning & may get a bunch of calls in the morning of new prospects.

It could be either way, but IT IS possible it's what I'm describing and not something sinister.

You def can't compare yourself to the guys who have been in the game for a long time, they have have paid for the business they write with years of investment I would bet.
I think a lot of newbies imitate the old timers and they run into trouble....
The numbers don't lie.... hit the phones and do a mix of activity and save the golf for weekends. LOL

Insurance is and always has been a relationship business. Your relationships get you clients and allow you to keep those clients. It's not only on the sales and account management side either. Underwriter relationships are built over time and are essential for getting the best terms available.

At the end of the day, an underwriter is only going to be as successful his brokers allow him to be. He will work with a trusted business partner over someone they've never heard before. And even if you are supplying your underwriters with new accounts, if they're lemons (claim riddled), they won't be happy.

Think about it. For you to win a new piece of business, you'll probably need to take it off someone else. Sure, you might be able to quote a cheaper price, but there will be an existing relationship there you need to overcome. In many cases, you'll have to hope that your potential client is not happy with the service they're currently being provided.

It will take a few years to build a book, but treat your clients right and they'll be yours for a lifetime.

Back