How Long Did it Take You to Get Your First Sale in Life Insurance?

It took a few months. And I've only sold a handful.

Full disclosure, I'm almost 100% p&c, now I just refer out all life. As a matter of fact, everything that isn't commercial p&c now I just refer out. Everybody's happy that way.

I was deterred by the 25% commission...

I have a broker in his late 70s who rewrites himself annually.

He says as soon as he's rated or declined he'll just keep his old policy.

He views is as an 80% (NY) discount each year.

Term or perm?

I just recently got licensed and I'm starting out as an independent agent and this coming Monday I'm going to start selling. I was curious to know how long it took all of you to get your first sale in Life Insurance!
I can verify that getting in front of people is the deciding factor. I started door knocking 8 year old leads in Opa Locka Miami (look that place up!) with no training and no clue. I consider myself lucky that I didn't quit entirely after that.

My first sale didn't come until months later when I started doing MP but I was able to set appointments and sit in front of people. And that's really all it takes.

I look at people on an ascending scale of difficulty from 1-10. The 1's thru 5's are going to close for anyone who knocks on their door not smelling like alcohol. The 9's and 10's are going to porch just about everyone. Most of our sales come from the 6, 7, and 8's and the occasional 9 or 10 we can snap off.

At least this is my impression. I'm pretty green and I still feel like my lack of sales has much more to do with lack of people to sit in front of than lack of ability. After all, they are requesting what we're selling. We just need to line it all up for them.

Made my first sale about a week after getting my license. Was told to cold call, & got sold a bad list for $300.

Just about everyone was cussing me out every time they answered. I kept pushing forward and got a lay down. This was all telesales. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

Got their SSN, banking info, & everything. But then I couldn't figure out how to submit the e-application. LOL!

It was maybe a month after getting my license. My friend got his mom and dad fe policies. Lay down of lay downs. Wrote them both up at the kitchen counter.

Does that not count as bribery in your state? At least in my state I'm not allowed to give any sort of gifts/money/etc without losing my licensing.

In my state, as long as the gift is $25 or less it is ok. I buy these in bulk and the total cost per outfit and stuffed animal is $15. I always ask my state insurance commissioner before I do a big campaign. So he is in the loop and has given me written approval.

Back