How much did you make in first month/year?

Salary

• 20-40k

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • 60k and up

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Leesuh

Hello, I am new to the insurance world and recently passed my Health and Life exam. I am seeing these jobs hiring with high salaries. However, I want to know a more realistic salary at least for new agents! If this isn't allowed just delete post.

Hello, I am new to the insurance world and recently passed my Health and Life exam. I am seeing these jobs hiring with high salaries. However, I want to know a more realistic salary at least for new agents! If this isn't allowed just delete post.

I hope that you are looking at this more like a professional would. Building a practice from the bottom up. How hard are you willing to work for what you want to make is more the question.

This isn't really a try and see business. It's one of hard work and total commitment. The opportunity is there is that's the answer your looking for, but it requires you to do more than just show up for work.

Um.. I can't remember my very first year back in 2004 tbh... I left insurance for a few years after I decided to go back to college and moved to Michigan. I relicensed in 2016 and wasn't really serious about this as a business until 2019.

2019 I wrote literally 1 policy all year. So... $300? However, I wasn't getting a lot of traction because I wasn't doing any real marketing. I have/had a cushy government job and didn't care if I wrote or not.

Over time, I started wanting to leave my government job (late 2019) and started getting serious about how I was going to build my business. I'm still part-time. However, I'm definitely getting more calls than I did because I found a marketing plan that works FOR ME.

My suggestion is before you start buying, looking at "jobs", etc.. is really do some research to decide what type of insurance you want to sell.

This helps you define your target audience.

Then, decide what types of marketing you want to do in order to get business.

Do you want to door knock? Do you want to cold call? Do you want to get leads from mass mailings that you have to contact? Do you want to be a lazy bum that creates content and sends out letters to wait for people to contact you?

I'm a lazy bum. I don't want to work very hard but I also understand that means I won't make as much money as quickly as other people. However, I also fashion myself as an advisor over a salesman.

Ultimately, my sole piece of advice is that you can allow this industry (and the bad faith actors associated with it) to work you OR you can decide you're not going to listen to the noise and work this business the way you want to.

I'm a lazy bum. I don't want to work very hard but I also understand that means I won't make as much money as quickly as other people
This is retirement for Gen X.

I lost both of my parents when they were in their early 70s. A little over 10 years after retirement.

Screw that. I'm living life now. I take several months "off" each year (I still block and tackle but that's a few hours per day).

I'm not trying to be Jeff Bezos. I make great money but I also want to live a great life while I'm young(ish).

Back