How to Get Non Sales Staff to Sell?

RJT Consulting

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I have an amazing csr that is intelligent, beautiful, personable etc. In a csr, I could not ask for more. She is fully licensed but has zero desire to sell. Outside of offering a quarterly bonus for agency sales production, any other creative ideas on how to get her to at least market the agency? We have staff that will do the selling but I want everyone to market the agency. Thoughts?

mb offer her a decent bonus that can be obtained in the present instead of a quarterly bonus, to wet her appetite.

Her angle should be "educating" the client on their choices. It's not selling its compassionate educating. After she educates the prospect on their choices, just have her ask the person, "where do you feel we should go after this"? The prospect will either throw up an objection or concern, or will say, lets sign me up. Either way, she will glean enough info from the prospect to help you close the sale, and the educating the prospect will already have happened so you can lightly touch upon ideas for recapping.

It shouldn't be about making sales (shes turned off by the process and the pressure), its about educating prospects, and delivering service, and if she cares enough, she can do just that.

Just a suggestion, but you may not want to change her. Maybe she truly does not want to "sell" and is very comfortable in her csr role. In the mid 90's (I sell group benefits) a competitor had a similar situation, the Account Manager was comfortable in her role but the sales manager wanted her to sell, not account manage. About two years later the experiment failed and he fired her. I hired her the next day as an account manager and she has been doing a great job ever since. By the way, the three of us had been friends for years and the sales manager has admitted his mistake.

Just some food for thought.

mb offer her a decent bonus that can be obtained in the present instead of a quarterly bonus, to wet her appetite.

I agree in this statement. It is all about the "now" instead of every quarter. Have monthly or weekly goals based on the overall productiveness of retention and new business.

I second what leevena said. Not everyone wants to or is cut out to sell. If she is doing a fantastic job, leave her alone and find another salesperson.

If she is not motivated by money then it will be difficult to get her in sales.

I have an amazing csr that is intelligent, beautiful, personable etc. In a csr, I could not ask for more. She is fully licensed but has zero desire to sell. Outside of offering a quarterly bonus for agency sales production, any other creative ideas on how to get her to at least market the agency? We have staff that will do the selling but I want everyone to market the agency. Thoughts?

It sounds like her boss is being foolish...

You have a great CSR with no desire to sell......it's probably why she is a great CSR.

You say you want her to market the agency?????

Her great CSR work is marketing in itself.

If she is not motivated by money then it will be difficult to get her in sales.

I agree. If he tries to make her do something she isn't comfortable with then she may start looking for another job.

Quality of life is very important to people, many times even more important than money. If she perceives that her quality of life will decline she isn't going to be a happy camper.

Don't pay on results rather action. There is no magic to selling car and home insurance. Coach her to look for policies you don't write for a customer and just offer a chance to quote to make sure the customer is getting the best deal and proper insurance coverage. Pay her for everytime she mentions it. Of course you either have to record phone calls or use the honor system.

Latest posts

Back