How to market to the 67 and up crowd?

benneaf

Super Genius
Tennessee
On a different thread someone had mentioned that they go after 67 to 72 year olds (maybe it was 75 I don't remember) instead of T65's. I have always gone after T65's with direct mail and even my other marketing and networking has been focused on the T65 group. And sales are S. L. O. W.. I know that some companies only count underwritted applications for trips and awards...but how do you reach those people? I would think direct mail would be even worse because it's going to be a very limited number of people who have supps vs MAPD or a retireee plan (lots of govt retiree's in my area). Any input would be appreciated. Thank you

I wish I knew.

I sell T65, then I keep them with me, and sell them when needed 67+. IOW, my main experience with 67+ is the group that I signed up T65.

Other than referral, I've tried to "break into" the 67 market a few times - but I always come back to T65.

Following thread to see what others say.....

67 yes, but capping at 72 or even 75 is not good in my opinion. I think the lowest number for the high age limit should be 78.

Direct Mail is the best way to reach them. Yes, some will have a MAPD plan, but certainly not all or even half of them should. It will also be a factor when you set your income levels too low. For 67+ the bottom filter should be $20K and up from there.....in my opinion. If your lower income level is set too low, you'll get a bunch of returns for MAPD. That's how you actually find the MAPD clients using DM....set that income down to $0.

I wish I knew.

I sell T65, then I keep them with me, and sell them when needed 67+. IOW, my main experience with 67+ is the group that I signed up T65.

Other than referral, I've tried to "break into" the 67 market a few times - but I always come back to T65.

Following thread to see what others say.....

I'm the exact opposite. I always found marketing to the T65's too long and drawn out of a process to deal with on a constant basis. I always targeted 67 and above.

Are you getting leads back or very few from direct mail?
I get some back and they are very qualified, but I don't have the budget to drive the numbers. What I do is to mail a series of letters to T65's. They are hand addressed and on the outside in the lower left corner I write 1 of 5, 2 of 5, 3 of 5, etc. I (sometimes) follow those mailings up with a phone call as well (if not on the DNC list). When you look at the number of people I am mailing to, my response rate is about 5%. When you look at how many letters I am sending out it's really a pretty typical 1% (because I am mailing each T65 multiple times)

67 yes, but capping at 72 or even 75 is not good in my opinion. I think the lowest number for the high age limit should be 78.

Direct Mail is the best way to reach them. Yes, some will have a MAPD plan, but certainly not all or even half of them should. It will also be a factor when you set your income levels too low. For 67+ the bottom filter should be $20K and up from there.....in my opinion. If your lower income level is set too low, you'll get a bunch of returns for MAPD. That's how you actually find the MAPD clients using DM....set that income down to $0.

Do you use letters or postcards? If postcards do you keep them plain and "official looking." I hate those plain postcards that are made to look like some sort of government notice...but at the same time they do drive BRC returns. With my letters generally people just call me. I had one lady call me who had retirement benefits, but had worked in advertising. She called me just to say how impressed with my direct mail campaign she was. It was very flattering, but didn't her call didn't put any jangle in my jingle.

I have used a vendor now and then, but primarily self mailings. Real stamp, hand addressed...they get open more I hear. If I had a bigger budget I couldn't do that though because there is only so much time in the day to address, stamp, fold, handwriting all that stuff...

I’ve mentioned this numerous times but I tried working the 66+ crowd and failed miserable. Some people are great at it.

It seems the best approach is to have telemarketers cold calling them about a possible savings on their current plan. Calling those leads up and changing them over. It didn’t work for me but it works for a lot of people.

Me? I’ll stick with T65

I have mentioned this many times b4 on this forum , 70 and over on the phone is the sweet spot. In this market I work exclusive tm leads n close on the phone. I Get paid the next month and premiums r higher, n less competition.

If u r a door knocker like the monkey , maybe 67 plus works but not on the phone.

I gave a presentation at the Medicare supplement conference in St. Louis on this topic. See link below for the agenda.

Sell Medicare insurance free day for agents

Back