How would you handle losing group coverage in this case?

BrokerBri said:

Not enough information here. How's her health? How much are they paying fro COBRA? Are the doctors in network with an ACA plan? Do the right thing and ask questions and know your client. If the spouse is receiving SSDI and qualifies for Medicare, and has many health issues, why on Earth is the spouse considering enrolling in COBRA (which is probably awfully expensive) and not enrolled in Part B with a Medicare supplement plan, for what $180/mo for Plan D? For less than $400/mo the spouse can get all of their medical needs paid for mostly 100%. Figure $148/mo for Part B, $180/mo for Medigap plan and another $30-$40/mo for a Part D plan.

Yes, I know to ask these questions. I've been playing phone tag with the husband for a week. Some people don't enroll in Medicare Part B and D, due to IRMAA possibly, Part D costs can be way higher than a group plan and some receive drug assistance from the manufacturer, which often stops when enrolling in Medicare.

BrokerBri said:

Not enough information here. How's her health? How much are they paying fro COBRA? Are the doctors in network with an ACA plan? Do the right thing and ask questions and know your client. If the spouse is receiving SSDI and qualifies for Medicare, and has many health issues, why on Earth is the spouse considering enrolling in COBRA (which is probably awfully expensive) and not enrolled in Part B with a Medicare supplement plan, for what $180/mo for Plan D? For less than $400/mo the spouse can get all of their medical needs paid for mostly 100%. Figure $148/mo for Part B, $180/mo for Medigap plan and another $30-$40/mo for a Part D plan.

Yes, I know to ask these questions. I've been playing phone tag with the husband for a week. Some people don't enroll in Medicare Part B and D, due to IRMAA possibly, Part D costs can be way higher than a group plan and some receive drug assistance from the manufacturer, which often stops when enrolling in Medicare.
I had similar case, and my client's wife was very proactive. But the chance was working their way as well. They had all doctors in one group, the medications appeared to cost same amount with MA, and many more details helped to place him in MA (he was the sickest person). So you should look over everything and could be a stipulation: COBRA (until she takes Part B) then MA or supplemental and Part D. If it doesn't work, he should stay with his job forever.

Back