Humana - Contesting My Clients' Claims

Yagents

Guru
5000 Post Club
Arizona
I was wondering if this is also happening to your Humana clients. Over the past few weeks, I've had 3 H clients call me to state that H is asking for additional doctor records, after they've been approved, on this first claim the client sends in.

My client today, owns 10,000 HSA, daughter had pneumonia over 2 years ago, it was disclosed on app. Daughter had ear infection recently, doctor visit was $60 discounted rate, that's the only claim. BUT, H wanted full details and dr records. WTF, the guy has a 10k deductible, and kids get ear infections (so I hear), and all was fully disclosed on the app.

Anyone else have this problem? This is getting rediculous, and makes me hesitant to offer H. No other company I sell does this as often as H.

As so it goes through the grapevine I have heard that H1 has recission police who are comped on stinging applicants after the application is submitted. I seriously don't believe Humana wants to stay in individual insurance (under 65) because of different approaches to business they take. Somebody prove me wrong. This post is conjecture anyway I admit.

Last edited:
Have had the same thing w/ H1 on several clients. Always resolved, but a big pain for the client. Never once got that from Anthem and I have 5x as many policies with them.

I would stop selling them. Legit claims need to be processed with out all the BS.

I have had a few, all resolved. H1 has paid some very big claims for me including 2 that were investigated. Both of those xs of $150k.

All carriers have a list of ICD-9 codes that can trigger further investigation. With the new anti-rescission laws that basically encourage applicants to lie on the application, I expect post issue underwriting to become more prevalent.

Or they could just do like Medicare and Medicaid and deny more claims than any commercial carrier.

A few agents have emailed me stating that post 9/23 carrier cannot rescind.

This is not correct. Carriers can rescind but they have to prove intent to commit fraud.

That's rather easy when a client omits something like a current medication or health condition.

You "forgot" you're diabetic? Unlikely.

Carriers could always rescind for fraud or misrepresentation. Difference now is they can only rescind going forward, not retroactively.

So if you have a condition you believe you can slip by the underwriter, go for it. Get as much of your treatment paid for before they cancel your policy.

Back