Humana plans to leave some Medicare Advantage markets in 2025

Duaine

Guru
100+ Post Club
Humana expects to exit Medicare Advantage markets in 2025, company executives told investors.

"We expect benefit levels, plan stability and choice for seniors to be negatively impacted by the final MA rate notice, which is not sufficient to address the current medical cost trend environment and regulatory changes," CEO Bruce Broussard said.

CMS published its final MA rate notice for 2025 earlier this month. The agency slightly cut benchmark payments and continued phasing in coding changes. Humana previously said the agency's rates were lower than its expectations. Other payers have signaled they will likely cut benefits to accommodate the rate notice.

CFO Susan Diamond said the company will expect to see membership decline as it exits markets.

"We are anticipating net membership declines in 2025, largely because we do plan to exit certain plans and counties," Ms. Diamond said. "Whether that is incrementally larger or smaller based on the other plans will be very dependent on what we see across the competitive landscape."

Humana will share more information on the size and scope of plan exits after bids are submitted in early June, Ms. Diamond said.

Though the company is anticipating a decline in 2025 membership, the company upped its 2024 membership guidance. Humana expects to add 150,000 Medicare Advantage members in 2024.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Humana plans to leave some Medicare Advantage markets in 2025

looks like they could soon be Cigmana

The MA market is being squeezed. I would not be surprised if there is more shrinkage as we approach 2025.

Same for the PDP market.
Agreed.

Doing a lot of med supp reviews and people still love them and even though prices in 2024 seem to be higher than prior years (looking at you, UHC) - people still see value in them.

Got an email from a guy yesterday, "Plan G just went up the $199 per month but has saved me thousands and thousands - love it."

Trying to re-write med supps this summer for those who can (a) save a somewhat non-trivial amount and (b) can pass UW... Just trying to keep the lights on 😂.

Also, most importantly, trying to get med supp conversations done and 100% out of the way before AEP to focus on MAs and PDPs... If Hilda wants to talk to me about her $9 Plan G increase and she asks in October, she can wait until December... I offered to review in July...

If Hilda wants to talk to me about her $9 Plan G increase and she asks in October, she can wait until December... I offered to review in July...

I get a few like that . . . usually folks that think they can only change Medigap during AEP. I ask if we can revisit this in January or February.

No one is put off by this.

Latest posts

Back