I am starting a comml p & c ins agcy, how do I get appts w/carriers and where can I

Re: I am starting a comml p & c ins agcy, how do I get appts w/carriers and where can

Hey Jroot, How do you like Networked Insurance Agents? I looked at them a few years ago, but they were not available in MI where I operate. I recently noticed that they are now available here and am considering giving them a try.

Re: I am starting a comml p & c ins agcy, how do I get appts w/carriers and where can

wcshaver,

The reason they don't want to give those contracts are a couple of reasons. number one, existing agents with those companies who are already profitable with those companies in the area may look down about a saturation of the market place by one company. there are several companies i know of who have a limited amount of contracts, also, to them it's not just marketing material ect. It's time money and training that they are putting into someone who more than likely is going to fail. Not saying that you would fail just company perspective.

If i were you I would either go work for a small independent agent and tell him that at some point you would like ownership or to take your clients, etc. Or look into the Brooke Corp. From what i have heard they pay competetive commissions and you own your business to an extent. Don't know all of the details but they seem interested in hiring agents and getting contracts would not be a problem.

You make a good point

wcshaver,

The reason they don't want to give those contracts are a couple of reasons. number one, existing agents with those companies who are already profitable with those companies in the area may look down about a saturation of the market place by one company. there are several companies i know of who have a limited amount of contracts, also, to them it's not just marketing material ect. It's time money and training that they are putting into someone who more than likely is going to fail. Not saying that you would fail just company perspective.

If i were you I would either go work for a small independent agent and tell him that at some point you would like ownership or to take your clients, etc. Or look into the Brooke Corp. From what i have heard they pay competetive commissions and you own your business to an extent. Don't know all of the details but they seem interested in hiring agents and getting contracts would not be a problem.

Thanks for the feedback tkirk97.

Yeah, I guess I can see why companies are reluctant to take on newbies. Since I posted that last message, I've met with the senior territory rep for Southern Trust. He was nice enough to visit my office and discuss the trials and tribulations of a new agency. He strongly recommended Smart Choice (as have several agents on this board). I'm putting in a call to them this afternoon.

Insurancenoodle.com also gives you access to commercial p & C products without any committment, etc. I am not recommending them, just sharing info. on getting access to a market.

Hey Jroot, How do you like Networked Insurance Agents? I looked at them a few years ago, but they were not available in MI where I operate. I recently noticed that they are now available here and am considering giving them a try.

Todder,

Networked Insurance is great. I can get instant quotes on Workers' Comp and BOP packages online...even bind online. They work hard to make sure you get the business. You are paying a monthly fee, which isn't so good because they are taking a percentage of your commission...but if you're new and don't have a bunch of direct appointments, its worth it. If you have any other questions, PM me...

Back