I Bought a Plan Already

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I am out of town and limited access to voice mail, email. Checked messages around 1PM.

Lady called at 12:15. Gave me her number and said call any day but Wed or Thurs.

Thought that was odd since today was Wed.

She garbled her number. By the time I figured it out it was 2PM but I called anyway.

I bought already.

OK, so what did you buy?

Mutual of Omaha plan F.

Really? Did they quote you the old rates or the new ones?

I wanted AARP like my dead husband but I bought this. I made my decision.

I haven't had anyone ask for MOO in years because of all the bad publicity about renewals. Did you know you could get plan F for less? I see that you also looked at plans G and N. Here are the rates for those plans. A lot less than the MOO F.

I made my decision.

It is not too late to change. If you wait until after June when you go on Medicare you can still change but you may have to answer health questions. Are you in good health?

I made up my mind.

OK, good luck with that.

I don't normally take it this far but her attitude pi$$ed me off so I kept digging.

How would you have handled it?

I am out of town and limited access to voice mail, email. Checked messages around 1PM. Lady called at 12:15. Gave me her number and said call any day but Wed or Thurs. Thought that was odd since today was Wed. She garbled her number. By the time I figured it out it was 2PM but I called anyway. I bought already. OK, so what did you buy? Mutual of Omaha plan F. Really? Did they quote you the old rates or the new ones? I wanted AARP like my dead husband but I bought this. I made my decision. I haven't had anyone ask for MOO in years because of all the bad publicity about renewals. Did you know you could get plan F for less? I see that you also looked at plans G and N. Here are the rates for those plans. A lot less than the MOO F. I made my decision. It is not too late to change. If you wait until after June when you go on Medicare you can still change but you may have to answer health questions. Are you in good health? I made up my mind. OK, good luck with that. I don't normally take it this far but her attitude pi$$ed me off so I kept digging. How would you have handled it?

Probably much the same way you did. Although, with all the discussion going on about the potential end to Plan F I may have asked her if she's aware there is a proposal to charge those with Plan F an extra fee or ending Plan F and then explain why that could be bad for her rates. Of course, that would have been just to add one more layer of doubt and insult to injury.

I'd keep her info and then drop her a letter or email next April or so and let her know how much her new premium will be. I suspect Plan F will have a higher rate percentage increase than Plan G or N.

So you called at 12:15 and asked me to call you back, but an hour and 45 minutes later you had already purchased a more expensive plan?

I made up my mind.

Well good for you. Have a nice day...click.

I spend a lot of time calling T65's. The pct. that buy is from 1-3%. The other 97% are filled with quite a bit of me being Mr. Avoided....even some that are interested and tell me to call them back.

Last edited:
Door knock the lady, but don't go out of your way to do it. Worst case scenario she slams door in your face, then laugh it off, and got to the next one

Are you getting out of the business soon?

If not, you handled it wrong. That is double for if she is local. If the contact is not in your area and just an internet/telemarketed lead, no sweat, forgetaboutit.

But, I don't deal with those types of leads. I wrote six new clients today, all referrals.

If that lady were local to me. My offer, in all seriousness: "Sounds great, I would still suggest you consider the efficency of plan G over F. I'll mail you the comparison and my card. You probably don't know and might never hear from who you bought that plan from again. On the other hand, I'll still be here and as a Mutual of Omaha agent, I want you to feel free to call on my office for any service issues you have. We will treat you no different that our real customers because sooner or later, that plan will need to be updated and we want to be your agency.... is that alright with you?

They can't disput that.

I've had that conversation and then went on to discuss the points you mentioned and had great success.

Help others get what they want and you always get what you want, never fails.

Door knock the lady, but don't go out of your way to do it. Worst case scenario she slams door in your face, then laugh it off, and got to the next one

The only way I'd waste my time knocking on her door would be if she lived VERY close by. And I wouldn't make a special trip to do it.

She's embarrassed, because she screwed up. And she knows it.

Send her a sweet email, apologize for not getting back to her quicker and blah, blah, blah. If she needs anything in the future, you would be happy to help her.

Then walk away.

She'll be back :)

I am out of town and limited access to voice mail, email. Checked messages around 1PM.

Lady called at 12:15. Gave me her number and said call any day but Wed or Thurs.

She garbled her number. By the time I figured it out it was 2PM but I called anyway.

I bought already.

OK, so what did you buy?

Mutual of Omaha plan F.

I haven't had anyone ask for MOO in years because of all the bad publicity about renewals. Did you know you could get plan F for less? I see that you also looked at plans G and N. Here are the rates for those plans. A lot less than the MOO F.

I made my decision.

It is not too late to change. If you wait until after June when you go on Medicare you can still change but you may have to answer health questions. Are you in good health?

I made up my mind.

OK, good luck with that.

I don't normally take it this far but her attitude pi$ me off so I kept digging.

To borrow a line from Wino, sounds like the MOFO agent "poisoned the well" for you and anyone else she contacted.

I bought already.

OK, so what did you buy?

Mutual of Omaha plan F.

I made my decision.

I made up my mind.

OK, good luck with that.

I don't normally take it this far but her attitude pi$ me off so I kept digging.

Tough to turn one like that.

Ultimately, she is saving face. It's all about pride - no one (no one) wants to go through an hour long call with anyone about insurance, decided to buy, and then find out 20 mins later that you made a dumb decision.

She would rather lose money than be "wrong." And she certainly did not want to hear that from you, unfortunately.

I do like the "did they give you their old or new rates?" question - surprised she didn't bite on it out of curiosity - but she was likely tired of being on the phone and may not have even been really listening.

What Gordon and kgmom said - a year from now her old agent will be out of business... I don't think I would have anything different to add to what they said.

Toss her in SendOutCards and get a pleasant surprise when she calls you 13 months from now....

potential end to Plan F I may have asked her if she's aware there is a proposal to charge those with Plan F an extra fee or ending Plan F and then explain why that could be bad for her rates.

Yeah, I thought of that ............ after I hung up.

Probably wouldn't have changed things.

Sometimes I can turn people if they will talk to me long enough. Not this one. Some of it is ignorance on their part (failure to understand), some is pride. They don't want to admit they made a mistake.

Door knock the lady,

She's 200 miles away. Don't count on that happening.

Send her a sweet email, apologize for not getting back to her quicker and blah, blah, blah. If she needs anything in the future, you would be happy to help her.

Her email address bounced. I could have asked for her real email but decided not to. Not worth it. Just wanted to see if others would have handled the exchange differently.

sounds like the MOFO agent "poisoned the well" for you and anyone else she contacted.

Maybe. Can't say. Her comment about AARP then buying from MOFO makes me think she wanted a name brand. Don't know how long her husband has been dead. Maybe she relied on him to make these decisions.

I do like the "did they give you their old or new rates?" question -

MOFO hasn't changed rates here. Just threw it out to see what kind of reaction.

Might send her a card or call in a year.

Assuming I am still in the business then ................

Back