I think I have done everything you guys have said. Any suggestions?

There's no disagreement on anything. Agents need to find what works from them. If internet leads work then have at it. If you're doing well with telemarketed leads then great - same with generating your own.

Just for the love of God find SOME system that works for you.

Some things you are going to have control over, some you won't. Internet or Telmarketing leads don't tip to your favor.

Doing your own telemarketing (where they speak directly to you), and networking for leads, will tip the scales in your favor. You need to stay away from doing a "product dump" over the phone. (John and others will be on directly to tell you how wrong I am about this topic, so...)

In an initial conversation, you need to accomplish 3 things:
  1. You need to get their attention: If they sound harried or frazzled, or otherwise pre-occupied, tell them you will call back.
  2. You need to get their agreement: If they won't tell you when their policies come up for renewal, or they won't tell you how long it has been since they've renewed, they are not worth your time. Put them in a follow up call file for 3 months.
  3. You need to get their information: If they won't give you their census information, but still want you to throw out a number, they are a time-waster, and you need to cut the line and move on.
Although I work in the Senior market, I don't believe that getting the appointment is very different than for any other insurance product.

I agree with Bob 110%! Maybe it is because we both seem to work the same way.

In the last fourteen years I feel like I have tried just about everything. Internet leads, direct mail, hiring telemarketers, letters sent snail mail, voter registration lists, knocking on doors, etc.

Telemarketing was probably the least effective for me when I had others do it. Mainly because I had never talked to the person before and I was a total stranger when I got to their house. I was not comfortable with that. I also wanted a lot more information before I set an appointment than they could provide me.

I don't like wasting time educating them so they can buy from another agent.

I do the calling myself. I try to engage them in conversation and ask who they have their insurance with, if they are happy with their premiums, and if they are interested in the possibility of saving money. (There is a lot more to the conversation but that is the short version.) As Bob said, if I can't get that information I am probably wasting my time and I put a next contact in for several months in the future.

If I get that information I will usually ask some basic health questions and then, if I sense they are genuinely interested I will tell them the premium when I set the appointment. When I go on an appointment I know that I have at least a 75 to 80% chance of getting their business. I probably close 90% or more of my appointments. When I go on an appointment they feel as they already "know me".

Yes, it is a lot more "work" doing it that way but no one ever told me that selling insurance was easy. When I started I assumed it was like other jobs I have had, you have to work for your money.

No one is going to do a better job of setting your appointment or making the sale than you are!

I suggest you read the article in "Agent Resources" at the top of the page just under the logo for the forum.

However, as John said, it really doesn't matter what you do as long as you are comfortable with it and it works for you . That is just what works best for me. But, do find "you way" of doing it before it drives you crazy.

Back