IAMS Data Breach. Here We Go Again.

Ronnie Carter

Guru
100+ Post Club
Got a notice a few days ago that my name and SSN were found available on the dark web. Then today a letter from Insurance Agency Marketing Services that they stupidly (my word) allowed a data breach last spring including: name, DOB, SSN, driver's license number and/or passport number, and bank account information. Ah, not to worry, they'll pay for a year of credit monitoring.

This might be a stupid question, but... Why cannot these companies secure their data? Why do they let hackers download huge amounts of data before someone is adroit enough to detect it? Are their data security people DEI hires instead of competent experts?

Seems to me that it should not be too hard. Simply write an algorithm that shuts down any downloads in progress when large amounts of data are being leaked out. Or here's an idea -- maybe use some extra security features to prevent unauthorized access?

No, that would be asking too much.

I am planning to cancel every single contract I have with these people.

INCOMPETENT ID/I/OT MORONS!

In some cases it is not the fault of the company you are doing business with, it is a third party company involved in data transfer.

This was the case with some social security system breaches in the last year or two. (some social security accounts have a significant amount of their data compromised.) And I think the same data company's weakness caused data compromise on some financial institution accounts as well.

Back