In Hospital Rehab Vs Skilled Nursing Facility

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
I have been asked to help sort out a long facility stay client of one of my referral sources. I just looked up the facility where the client is being treated, which is described as a rehab hospital. I have seen the terms IRF and acute rehab used.

Looking for how Medicare pays, apparently for this type of specialized hospital, a step above skilled nursing facility, Medicare would pay hospital rates as long as the stay is approved. Looks like generally for serious conditions such as stroke, brain injury, etc.

Since the patient was transferred to this facility after about 80 days in a SNF, there will be trouble if the SNF limit of 100 days applies. If what I read is correct the 100 day limit would not apply to the rehab hospital. The care is quite a bit more involved, with doctors available all the time, etc.

Anyone familiar with this type? Then, my friend will have to find out what insurance the patient has.

The patients MyMedicare.gov account and the Blue Button should provide insight into how the claims have been handled so far.

For info on how IRF claims are handled, follow this link and this one.

If the patient runs out of Medicare money, what is plan B?

I have been asked to help sort out a long facility stay client of one of my referral sources. I just looked up the facility where the client is being treated, which is described as a rehab hospital. I have seen the terms IRF and acute rehab used.

Looking for how Medicare pays, apparently for this type of specialized hospital, a step above skilled nursing facility, Medicare would pay hospital rates as long as the stay is approved. Looks like generally for serious conditions such as stroke, brain injury, etc.

Since the patient was transferred to this facility after about 80 days in a SNF, there will be trouble if the SNF limit of 100 days applies. If what I read is correct the 100 day limit would not apply to the rehab hospital. The care is quite a bit more involved, with doctors available all the time, etc.

Anyone familiar with this type? Then, my friend will have to find out what insurance the patient has.

IRF stay is paid by the same as IP hospital stay under medicare so 3 days in IRF should requalify him for another 100 days of SNF .if he has a med supp that pays day 21-100 ,which I bet he does or the SNF would have booted him after 20 days, then he pays nothing

Back