Individual health insurance 101 for new agents

It would seem there have been no new agents in health insurance since Sept, 2006.

Fascinating . .

I'm confused as to how Blue Cross works. How do you get appointed with them in Florida? If you work for an agency you are captive I would think. How is one able to do BCBSFL and be independent? Does HCO have contracts for them? I have tried to get an answer but haven't had ANY success.

I contacted carriers in Massachusetts directly for appointments, including Blue Cross Blue Shield, via their websites. But still my original questions remains unanswered. I am appointed, but can only run quotes for groups & not individual/family plans. Why is that? I will ask the carriers, but thought some of you sages would have some insight into this.

p.s. Sorry for re-sparking an old post (and lame jokes :twitchy:), but the topic is relevant to me now.

~Jeff

MA is probably not a very good state for writing individual health insurance. The DOI has over-regulated the state to the point that few carriers are willing to offer policies there. The few that do have only a limited number of plans and all are very high priced.

MA is a preview of Obamacare.

Same can be said for NY, VT, ME.

I'm confused as to how Blue Cross works. How do you get appointed with them in Florida? If you work for an agency you are captive I would think. How is one able to do BCBSFL and be independent? Does HCO have contracts for them? I have tried to get an answer but haven't had ANY success.
contact Bill Mann to get an independent appt. Bill Mann 502-396-5876

Be that as it may, agents should be appointed with all state carriers and write cases according to the best fit.

I wrote a lot of Aetna in '05 and '06 at 15% comp on plans with a $5,000 drug cap because in those cases it was the better fit over GR, Time or BX.

Be that as it may, agents should be appointed with all state carriers and write cases according to the best fit.

Of course I agree with you conceptually, but with the numerous choices available here, I don't find many cases where BCBSFL "fits".

Not only are they the poster child for poor customer service, their underwriting times are inordinately lengthy. Coupled with the fact that they heavily use "bait & switch" rates (rate things up 25-50% that others don't), the serious "holes" in some of their contracts, and the cancellation provision they use, it's not hard to see why their marketshare has eroded heavily over the last few years.

Maybe with Time getting out of the maternity business, that'll be a place where it fits, but their coverage isn't much better than Golden Rule's!

They've filed for an 11% increase on ifp effective 6/1.

Back