Individual Health Insurance, Denied

uninsured302

I worked for a bank for 12 years before recently becoming laid off. The entire time I had Aetna HMO.

The Cobra option was way too expensive so I called Aetna and tried to get individual; I wanted to get a PPO and just pick up where I left off since they have all my records. I am single, no conditions, non drinker, no drugs, workout, no meds, just smoke cigs...

insurance coverage was denied.
I was always under the impression that if you smoke, you will just pay more in premiums, not be completely denied.

when I told a friend, the first thing they said was are you stupid, why did you tell them you smoked. I certainly won't lie because that is fraud.

anyway, I guess I have to try out bluecross and other companies... any advice going forward when filling out apps?

You did not get denied because you're a smoker. No health insurance carrier declines for smoking. You'll need to contact Aetna and ask for the reason for your decline - and they have to tell you.

Most carriers pull your MIB and do a RX (prescription) search. If they found anything you didn't list on the application that's likely the reason for the decline.

I am single, no conditions, non drinker, no drugs, workout, no meds, just smoke cigs... insurance coverage was denied.

what might of happened was that you were talking to group aetna and trying to convert your group plan to an individual plan......now if you put in a application with aetna individual you should not be declined.....

Back