Individual Health Insurance Marketing

The senior market is harder to market to since not only do you have the DOI to set rules and regulations, but you also have CMS. Limited cold calling, no door to door, etc.

Here is what I am working on:

Seminars
Senior Centers
Churches (just started that one)
Brokers (P&C agents and health agents)
Referrals

I have Wal Mart since I am with Humana, but get to know your local pharmacy. The one Wal Mart pharmacy here just gives them my card and tells them to call me. I get about 4-5 calls a month with that (getting more and more since AEP is coming). And if they get your card from someone they trust, they will be more open with you.

midwestbroker said:
The senior market is harder to market to since not only do you have the DOI to set rules and regulations, but you also have CMS. Limited cold calling, no door to door, etc.

Here is what I am working on:

Seminars
Senior Centers
Churches (just started that one)
Brokers (P&C agents and health agents)
Referrals

I have Wal Mart since I am with Humana, but get to know your local pharmacy. The one Wal Mart pharmacy here just gives them my card and tells them to call me. I get about 4-5 calls a month with that (getting more and more since AEP is coming). And if they get your card from someone they trust, they will be more open with you.

You have an Independent contract with Humana?

That doesn't tell me much. How many hours did you go B to B and how many leads did you get? Or better yet, forget about how many hours you did - how many businesses do you think you walked into?

john_petrowski said:
how many businesses do you think you walked into?

All of them in a 20 mile radius (the locally-owned businesses, at least). However, there are less than 50 locally-owned businesses in a 20 miles radius, so that's not as impressive as it sounds. The joys of rural living.

john_petrowski said:
All any agent is doing is catching people at the right time. When you're only marketing to 100 people a week it's hard to find someone who's at the moment when they care about what you're selling. When you're markeing to 3,000 people a week now you're in business.

John, when you say you market to 3,000 people a week, how is exactly are you doing that? Are you walking into businesses, or are you "marketing" to 3,000 businesses by cold calling them? If its the latter, thats roughly 600 calls a day. Am I missing something?

f2c

Michael -

My guess is, you haven't given it enough time to mature. Drip marketing is very successful. The more people see your name, the more familiar you become.

If Apple had spent millions on one Super Bowl ad for the iPod, my guess is it would not be anywhere near as successful as it is now. Instead they continually run new ads, each with the same theme but different characters & music.

Spend some time here http://sethgodin.typepad.com/ and read some of his books, especially Permission Marketing & the Ideavirus.

Then go here http://www.gitomer.com/ and sign up for Jeff's free newsletter.

If you can't get anything from these two guys then nothing will work for you.

take care,

Michael Haislip said:
john_petrowski said:

All of them in a 20 mile radius (the locally-owned businesses, at least). However, there are less than 50 locally-owned businesses in a 20 miles radius, so that's not as impressive as it sounds. The joys of rural living.

I thought I would ask if you write in Alabama also? It would seem to me that you would have to branch out in the Huntsville area or Franklin area.

fla2cali said:
john_petrowski said:
All any agent is doing is catching people at the right time. When you're only marketing to 100 people a week it's hard to find someone who's at the moment when they care about what you're selling. When you're markeing to 3,000 people a week now you're in business.

John, when you say you market to 3,000 people a week, how is exactly are you doing that? Are you walking into businesses, or are you "marketing" to 3,000 businesses by cold calling them? If its the latter, thats roughly 600 calls a day. Am I missing something?

f2c

Doorhangers.

Michael Haislip said:
john_petrowski said:

You probably won't write a single deal just walking into 50 businesses.

Back