Insurance Agent vs. Insurance Broker

I would say to the O/P that he should not sweat it. I'm impressed by the alphabet soup after your name, Mr. Naples. The only agent I know that can match that is our very beloved Rick, a/k/a GreenSky.

Yep. In Connecticut we have producer's licenses.

You can call yourself an agent, a broker or Barbara Eden. If you have a license to sell insurance in Connecticut you are a producer according to the insurance department.

In NY where there are licensed agents, brokers, and consultants; claiming to be what you are not would be a misrepresentation at best.

I am not sure if dude mud wants to be an agent, broker, consultant or maybe an insurance buyer or risk manager instead.

Last edited:
I'm an independent agent and represent several different insurance companies. My official title is "Your Insurance Agent". It's on my business cards and my stationery.

Call yourself what ever makes you feel "warm and fuzzy", in the end what you do is sell insurance. I want everyone to know that if they want to buy insurance that I am the "go to guy".

It's kind of like the guys that have a "fancy" sounding title but no one really knows what they do to make a living. I'm just a successful "insurance agent" and promote myself as an "agent".

Titles and "names" usually make the agent feel good but usually don't matter a whole lot to the prospect. All they want is someone who is going to recommend the best investment of their premium dollar.

Last edited:
Curious, is that: CLU RHU ChFC AAI LUTCF

On your business card? Do you make an extra line under your name just for the acronyms?

I'm an independent agent and represent several different insurance companies. My official title is "Your Insurance Agent". It's on my business cards and my stationery.

Call yourself what ever makes you feel "warm and fuzzy", in the end what you do is sell insurance. I want everyone to know that if they want to buy insurance that I am the "go to guy".

It's kind of like the guys that have a "fancy" sounding title but no one really knows what they do to make a living. I'm just a successful "insurance agent" and promote myself as an "agent".

Titles and "names" usually make the agent feel good but usually don't matter a whole lot to the prospect. All they want is someone who is going to recommend the best investment of their premium dollar.

Spot on Frank...people always listen to that silent radio station inside their heads WIIFM (what's in it for me)...most people don't give a rats a$$ about what you call yourself as long as you can provide them with what they want.

Curious, is that: CLU RHU ChFC AAI LUTCF

On your business card? Do you make an extra line under your name just for the acronyms?

I don't put any of that crap on my business card. The only people that MAY be impressed by that are other insurance agents. The public has no clue what all of that means nor do they care.

I like the "Your Insurance Agent". It does say you're the go to guy, a subliminal message to it. I'm stealing that idea. I'm guessing since you posted it in public you don't mind. hehe

Back